• Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 or Post-WW2 Bore Cleaner, Oil, and Grease

Does Anybody know if these are WW2, Korean War, Vietnam War Era:
    Bore Cleaner
    Oil
    Grease Pot labeled "Grease, Rifle" and "Grease, Rifle LUBRIPLATE 130-A"

Also the Oiler (with chained cap) on the far Left of the picture. Not sure if this was used exclusively for WW2 Light Machine guns (1919A4, or B.A.R.).

Comment

I have several oil cans with the chain. They have ‘MG Oil’ printed on the side. As of what they were for, no clue as I’ve had both 1917 and 1919.

Comment

Yep, these are WW2 era cleaners and lube. The later Vietnam era RBC had "Rifle Bore Cleaner" labeled on the can, I have several of these in my shop and have used them since the early 70's.

Comment

• Rogue5
          Rogue5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. If you have some photos of the Vietnam Era ones to compare that would be neat.

Are you collecting period stuff of using it? I use Hoppes #9, Mobil 1 Synthetic grease, and LSA oil in mine. Also leave a film of Kleen-Bore bore conditioner inside the barrel.
        The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
        The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

• Rogue5
          Rogue5 commented
          Editing a comment
          No plan on using these. The Bore Cleaner (I have 2 cans) I believe were given. While the Oil (I have 2 containers also) I may have acquired from an antique store.
          I use Hoppes No 9 to clean the bore and Rem Oil too
          For lube I use the dark Grease found in the mini pots. and Pennzoil oil on my other firearms.

I would not use the WWII or Korean war era bore cleaners. If you do, do it outdoors and wear rubber gloves. There are some nasty chemicals in those bore cleaners. Even Hoppes #9 had to change its formula a number of years ago to remove benzene and other cancer-causing chemicals.

Comment

• Rogue5
          Rogue5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the warning. Yeah I have no plans to use the Bore Cleaners nor the Oil in these containers. I've been collecting WW2 stuff for years. But I use Hoppes No.9, Rem OIl, Pennzoil and Grease for all my weapons.
      Working...
      X