Grease Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grease Removal

hi, I just obtained a Remington m1917, and its pretty dirty, I have it apart cleaning it, any suggestions on the best to get the old dirty grease off? I tried CLP, but that's not working so good....

Are you asking about getting the grease off the stock ? Do you care about care about keeping the original finish on the stock or do you want to strip it down the the bare wood and refinish it ?

Comment

For metal try Brake Cleaner. It comes in a spray can. Wear rubber gloves and safety glasses and do it outside. Any automotive parts store will have it for about 4 bucks a can.

Comment

Ok, cool thanks, jak I don’t want to take off finish, just want to remove old dirty grease from wood and metal parts.

Comment

Paint thinner will work on both metal and wood. Just don't let it soak into the wood.
          Jon

Comment

You can also use mineral spirts. I apply with a paint brush. Use rubber gloves, an apron, safety glasses and do it outside.

Comment

Joesarno: I use Napfa dry cleaning solvent. You can get a gallon use a varsol gun and spray away that grease will melt away, I use an old T shirt and sun lite to dry then apply oil, Remington spray oil is what I use. I modified a rain gutter capped both ends and soak the stock, that napfa will turn black remove the stock and use dawn dish water detergent and clean it if you got hot water it really works great, hotter the better. Those scratches and dings will disappear not the deep one but most of the shallow ones. Wrap the stock in an old clean T shirt and wrap that in a news paper, it will suck out the moisture, the warmer the better! The deep stuff, of you have cartushes I have found they stay dark with this process. But to remove the deep stuff, dents scratches get your wife’s Iron wet a TShirt and Iron the stock. I would not tell your wife about that part, they have a tendency to get pissed. But if she ever wants a new Iron take her the Walmart and get her anything she wants, then get her old iron, man you are set for life!

Comment

If you use Napfa make sure to wear rubber gloves and do it in a well ventilated place.

Comment

Mix up a batch of Ed's Red. Works great on Cosmoline and old grease. Definitely us in a ventilated area.

Comment

Just a caution, the most common places I've found rust on old surplus firearms is where the metal is covered by the wood. Be sure to put a film of fresh grease on everything before you reassemble it.
                    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

My latest M-1 Garand had some Issues with the Trigger Assembly, the grease,Oil, and dirt was really fouling things up. Ended up soaking the entire assembly in Mouse Milk, man did it loosen that crap up, used Spray way cleaner, ran the Mouse Milk thru three paint strainers and saved it, it’s expensive but really does a good job. AJ

Comment

Originally posted by AJ Brink View Post
                        My latest M-1 Garand had some Issues with the Trigger Assembly, the grease,Oil, and dirt was really fouling things up. Ended up soaking the entire assembly in Mouse Milk, man did it loosen that crap up, used Spray way cleaner, ran the Mouse Milk thru three paint strainers and saved it, it’s expensive but really does a good job. AJ
                        For someone who brags about being in the military, you sure don't know how to properly maintain your weapon. Why didn't you disassemble, clean, and lube your weapon before taking it to the range? Plenty of info on the cmp website.
                        Last edited by jak; 12-20-2020, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Hi jak, If I am bragging I apologize, never meant to do that! I did inspect, but never thought about it, I cleaned it the barrel was great the main spring and the ejector rod the bolt and receiver assembly was oily but not that bad, hell, I was excited and wanted to shoot, did great until I loaded my second clip, around the fourth round she failed to fire, I ware hearing aids and remove them when I shoot, don’t need ear plugs. As far as the Military goes I had my first real exposure in Military School with the 1903 twenty two and maybe 10 times in 3 years I am thinking 30/06 but maybe it was a 308, I just don’t recall. In the Army I carried a 38, did qualify in the reserves with the M-1 and M-14 at Fort Ord that was in 1966, never touched a long arm again, until I had a Muni 14 in the Sheriffs department, My interest in Military arms was all My ?Dads doing,when I got my first Military 1903 in Hawaii, as far as CMP goes, ya they are great, and I really Support their efforts, and what they do as a whole, but they do have some issues, not my fault,not their fault must be the asphalt. I will try to watch that, appreciate your criticism, have a great holiday. AJ

Comment

Working...
                          X