Clip ejection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clip ejection

Hello, I'm new here so if this is wrong place forgive me. I just purchased a armory refurbished M1 Garand. I adore the rifle, it functions well and is accurate. I do have an issue that I need help with. When I fire the seventh round it ejects the clip and the eighth round at same time. It does this every time but only on seventh round. Any ideas, and I'm not a gun smith so if have an answer keep it simple please. Thanks

Take out the clip latch spring, stretch it then reinstall the spring and check to see if that fixes the problem. If so, get a new clip latch spring.
    Looking for SA bayonet 1045220

Comment

First off make sure you are using USGI enblocs
      then clip latch spring
      then measure lobe on bullet guide and make sure its in spec

Comment

Thanks now I have figure out how get spring out.

Comment

No time like the present to learn how to work on your garand.

Thee are the steps to remove the clip latch http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/...platchone.html
          However, you have to field strip of the rifle and some of the detail strip to get to the point of replacing the clip latch spring.

Comment

Jak thank you, I was beginning to think I was a nut. I field stripped several times to get used to it but I never saw that spring until that first link. So do I need just stretch it out a bit or just go ahead and replace it would be better?

Comment

I would stretch the spring and see if that fixes the problem. If it does then I would order a new spring. I would recommend getting an entire spring set from Orion 7. They have the best replacement spring set for garands

Comment

The clip latch "finger" could be excessively worn as well. It's not likely, but is a possibility.
                Jon

Comment

Official:

This is the final version, and the most accurate, reliable, and correct. The next to the last entry on page 2 about premature ejection of clip and multiple cartridges doesn't seem to agree with a lot of merchants who seem to have clip latches and springs they'd like to sell. But it works, whereas a new clip latch and overly powerful spring will mainly not last very long, and ultimately exacerbate other problems. Indeed, they often won't even briefly forestall the early ejection. Out of specification clips eventuate all manner of nightmares, and those didn't exist when this was composed. There are some inherently defective aftermarket crap parts around which complicate some of this manual compilation, formulated and written in the sixties, but not as much as some of the "forum commando" clowns/loudmouths on the internet would have people believe. But I am not arguing any more. There's some kind of crackpot weirdo shadowing me around the internet who asserts that my posting photos here, especially this page, is somehow "subversive" and "lies" and a "mercenary venture". Perhaps someday that slobber mouthed imbecile will explain to me how any of that could possibly be true. In particular, retired, I'd like to know how the HELL I can profit giving photos away for free... If I could make a buck that way, I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO DO THAT!! He also accuses me of plagiarism. Well, only in the sense that when I referred to USGI Army Ordnance Manual TM-9-1005-222-35 I conceived that publishing this on the web might save people problems. Maybe he doesn't know that attributed quotations and public domain renditions are a gazillion miles from "plagiarism"???? In his mind, I guess that makes me "evil". The Internet sometimes becomes more like the dark ages... This was carried in my shooting kit from 1973 forward, but I re-published the public domain version first in 1989, then again in 1998. Of course, the M1 clips around now with too heavy finish ( powder coating or paint, apparently applied here in the U.S., by the way!) and out of specification "span" cause the same cartridge dumping. Some are mysterious brand new, out-of-spec, and cannot really be loaded at all. There was no one doing that or mis-making those until fairly recently. And there are some strange clips that are actually out of metal specification, too, some of them marked "SF" that simulate other problems. There are several other types of out-of-specification Garand clips. BEWARE of inky black clips with finish that looks a little too good. They DO cause problems. I tumble mine with my brass for an entire day, and the problem usually disappears. Those are usually perfectly good GI clips someone finished way to enthusiastically. "AEC" marking is generally not working, can usually not be made to work.

In the new book, THE COMPLETE M1 GARAND, the out-of-spec civilian clips and other junk/recycled parts are listed as issues all by the themselves. Most modern M1's sooner or later run afoul of these under various ersatz markings, and they ALL cause problems. Out-of-specification, whacked out, junk parts have changed the equation, and especially, cheap, junk, incorrectly dimensioned, cast clip latches have caused malfunctions that wouldn't have been believed a half century ago. This is the real data, not moronic crap from some infantile cretin "chat room commando" on the internet who gets his information from imaginary voices and illiterate weirdo creeps on phony baloney forums. This is the final version, and the most accurate and correct. And yes, it is official, real, documented, genuine, and not crap made up by some slimy internet "sonderkommando" on some forum where any dumbass drip can "heavily disagree" about reality. Truth is, much of the "clip & rounds early eject" issue any more flows from issues related to messed up, non-GI clips and the weird things they do to other parts. This was NOT the case as long as M1 parts were ALL GI. There are a couple of degenerate, weirdo crackpots chasing me across the web, trying to deny this, for some insane reason of their own. I am not interested in what their perverse "reasoning" is. What these dolts need to do is contact the army and the other millions who have followed this data and explain how they know better. The next to the bottom entry, about "one or more live cartridges ejected with clip", is ironclad, and yet there are hyperbole types selling clip latches and much overpriced spring kits who advertise a bogus opinion that their "stuff" will solve the problem. With a stiff enough clip latch spring, this will briefly disappear, but when it loses a bit of tension, the "dumping" problem will then be much worse. Surprisingly, any number of people have maniacal hissy fits when exposed to this long-known, valid information. Not surprisingly, many of those folks have parts to sell. What a coincidence!! It's about tension distorting the torsional surfaces of the bullet guide, operating rod catch, and ultimately, the follower rod. Therefore, there is a chain reaction involved, which the dumbasses refuse to acknowledge. Not so startling, I take a lot of flak for referring people to this, which is from the U.S. Army Technical Manual. One retailer actually called it a "forgery". What a surprise that guys who have clip latches and clip latch springs to peddle claim that replacing those parts is a foolproof solution! Maybe it's the wax or oil or dental floss, huh? This business is filled with b.s. artists. Of course, a damaged or distorted clip latch can contribute to or magnify these problems, and fifty years ago, such things would have been unthinkable, when all parts were inspected before assembly. Still, that glitch is very rare, even with the Chinese and California-produced substandard repros now on the U.S. market. Those units commonly break, too. Generally, the clip latch and clip latch spring "fix" is at least an inadequate and temporary b.s. "fix",, and at best, works at all a minority of times. But it's more or less "taboo" to say that out there in "business promotion world". And what happens is, as more and more of the out-of-spec en bloc (There is no "k" is "en bloc", by the way!) clips and new but messed up clip latches get out there, this is all going to become more obscure, as reality usually does on the bullshit-drenched internut. So in hilarious ways, the yo-yo contention of juvenile halfwits on half-baked worldwide web forums is becoming a sort of self-fulfilling prophesy. Likewise, there are a lot of very expensive, nice looking, grotesquely out of specification clips and clip latches and inferior springs, non-GI, which can cause SOME of this. But generally, the information in this version of the manual is ironclad, proven, and only fools argue with it. Since 2019, more POS clips misrepresented as "within specification" have been marketed, and more rifles are dumping rounds early....so it's getting worse as the lying skank begin to dominate conversations. The mysterious out-of-spec clips can cause premature cartridge and clip dumping, all by themselves. This is usually preceded by great difficulty getting the magazine full of clip/rounds and latched in the rifle. This is the real, verified information from the manual noted. That some wino lying in a gutter or some stupidass loudmouth on an internet forum swears otherwise is meaningless twaddle, reinforced by erroneous parts and substandard pieces and thinking. Welcome to the age of the preposterous internet charlatan/blowhard. These whacked-out, degenerate cowards are becoming the rule, rather than the exception.

However, that's from the days when only USGI parts were in circulation. Defective aftermarket clips and clip latches can be issues.

Civilian clips generally DO NOT WORK, and can complicate everything else.

Comment

Working...
                  X