Perchance a new rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perchance a new rifle?

What would the community response be to a not clone but close enough Garand in .223?

Something built like an inverted Kel-Tec Su-16 with a dogleg gas piston and an SKS style lifter setup.

the Su series are already polymer reciever guns, how nice would it be to have a 4-6lb shorty carbine with (hopefully) 10rd en-blocs. the recievers and clips could all be 3d printed or injection molded if you did a barrel to bolt lockup instead of reciever lockup.

Edit: I would be totally on board for getting .30-06 clips into a working printer file. I am whole hog into making JC Garand run into the next century.
    Last edited by DumpsterDriver; 01-20-2022, 10:37 PM.

Edit 2, I'm aware the SU has an AK style BCG and directly inverting it would interfere with the lifter, benefits of a 7 lug bolt, rotate the BCG drive and bolt cam 90 degrees, bulge the reciever, and cut te bolt for a new cam. Potentially machine cosths could be kept low by just clocking the cam track for the bolt about 90 degrees
    same part just rotate the cam track 90 degrees. G-Code and modern CNC can do this with some clever math for tool path geometry

Comment

Edit 3, pleae excuse my spelling, I've had a few and I'm playing around on my drafting table

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't want one. The big question is "Why"? If it can't be made to function like an M1, then why bother? Rotating bolt a la the '41 Johnson?
        I wish you luck in your endeavor but I won't be on the waiting list for one.
        Jon

Comment

Originally posted by TJT View Post
          Personally, I wouldn't want one. The big question is "Why"? If it can't be made to function like an M1, then why bother? Rotating bolt a la the '41 Johnson?
          I wish you luck in your endeavor but I won't be on the waiting list for one.
          Jon
          Thanks for the honesty. a 10rd enbloc rifle that runs like a garand may just have to be my pet project.

Comment

Working...
          X