Converting M1 .308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting M1 .308

If I have a .308 garand, can i simply put a m1D barrel block on the barrel? Will it still operate properly?

You can and it will function no different than it does now. The problem is properly installing the block. That will take a very qualified person with a good lathe to machine the barrel properly and line it up correctly. You may also have problems finding a quality block instead of the Chicom junk being sold in most places. You will also need a modified rear handguard or a specific M1D HG.

Do yourself a favor and send it to Shuff or the CMP shop for conversion. Screwing up the machining means a new barrel or a loosening block under use.

If you've never done one....don't.

BTW- It requires barrel removal in order for the machining to be done.
    Last edited by lapriester; 06-16-2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Thanks! What about this: what if I swap out the barrel for a m1D 30-06 barrel? I'm not changing the chamber, and the rounds have the same diameter, so does this work?

Comment

You have to use 30-06 ammo unless you use a 30-06 to 308 conversion sleeve. The US Navy tried this and sometimes the sleeve would eject with fired round and then you were shooting 308 in a 30-06 barrel. The rounds are different and the chambers are different and are not interchangeable, hence the conversion sleeve.
        Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Originally posted by jak View Post
          You have to use 30-06 ammo unless you use a 30-06 to 308 conversion sleeve. The US Navy tried this and sometimes the sleeve would eject with fired round and then you were shooting 308 in a 30-06 barrel. The rounds are different and the chambers are different and are not interchangeable, hence the conversion sleeve.
          Actually he said he wanted to add a barrel block to a rifle that was already a 308. A lot of work and expense for no gain IMHO. It won't be able to be used for sniper matches and will likely never shoot that well with the repro parts he'll be getting for the conversion. If he just wants to scope a 308 Garand he should just buy a scout scope mount and long eye relief scope. Otherwise he'll just have a look-alike M1D that will probably never hold zero and waste a good 308 barrel that will have to be removed and machined for the Cheap Chinese barrel block. Even Shuff will tell you the conversion won't likely be anywhere as accurate or reliable with the repro parts available.

Why ruin a good shooting 308 Garand?

Comment

Originally posted by lapriester View Post

Actually he said he wanted to add a barrel block to a rifle that was already a 308. A lot of work and expense for no gain IMHO. It won't be able to be used for sniper matches and will likely never shoot that well with the repro parts he'll be getting for the conversion. If he just wants to scope a 308 Garand he should just buy a scout scope mount and long eye relief scope. Otherwise he'll just have a look-alike M1D that will probably never hold zero and waste a good 308 barrel that will have to be removed and machined for the Cheap Chinese barrel block. Even Shuff will tell you the conversion won't likely be anywhere as accurate or reliable with the repro parts available.

Why ruin a good shooting 308 Garand?
            If you read the op's 2nd post he was considering using a regular M1D barrel and I was responding to that question of 30-06 vs 308
            Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Originally posted by jak View Post

If you read the op's 2nd post he was considering using a regular M1D barrel and I was responding to that question of 30-06 vs 308
              Can't wait to see where he's going to get a real M1D barrel. And even if he found one to buy it will cost him almost as much as an entire rifle.

Obviously he doesn't understand based on that second post where he said he wasn't "changing the chamber". Really?
              Last edited by lapriester; 06-19-2022, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X