My New M1C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New M1C

My new M1C. CMP Field Grade from 1/45 with matching base and 4/45 barrel. It definitely looks like it's seen some action, and Canfield writes that the 7000-odd rifles made in 1944/45 were far more likely to have seen action in Korea than the 1952 M1C builds. I probably shouldn't have spent this much money, but if the rumors about the CMP are true, I don't know if I'll get another chance to own one.
    Sorry Mr. President, the people we defeated in WW2 were not "fine people," and America's war dead are not "suckers" and "losers."

That’s a nice looking M1C - enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by adanac View Post
      I probably shouldn't have spent this much money, but if the rumors about the CMP are true, I don't know if I'll get another chance to own one.
      What rumors?

Comment

Originally posted by 56hotrod View Post

What rumors?
        That they are running out of rifles. Perhaps speculation is a better word.
        Sorry Mr. President, the people we defeated in WW2 were not "fine people," and America's war dead are not "suckers" and "losers."

Comment

• 56hotrod
          56hotrod commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh that rumor has been going on since at least 2010.  I think maybe its the quality of rifles available is whats running out.

Indeed, I have heard from long-time collectors that people have been saying this for a while. If you mean the quality appears to be lower, I think that is part of what fuels the speculation. The reasons for the speculation, as I understand them, are:

- Many grades, including those that have been popular, only sporadically available, and in small numbers.
        - The proliferation of Special and the new Expert grades and an apparent reduction of GI rifles.
        - The closure of the South Store.
        - The appearance of rifles in the auctions that aren't particularly special in any way, and that would have previously been sold in stores or online
        - Steep price increases
        - Rifle grades appearing to be evolving downward (where what was once a rifle of Field Grade quality is now a rifle of Service Grade quality).

At least some, or even all of this can be explained by the big monkey wrench the pandemic threw into the works. I haven't been collecting long enough to have the longer-term perspective that you have, and which I really appreciate.
        Last edited by adanac; 05-18-2022, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I agree with most all of what you said but I dont think the price increase are steep. CMP has and still is the most economical way to purchase a garand. Theyve been holding the secondary market prices down. Once they really truly do not have a substantial quantity of garands left I feel prices will rise drastically.

Comment

As the market-maker, the CMP prices are clearly the best. By steep I didn't necessarily mean that the rifles are costly, but that the recent increases were a lot, percentage-wise, over the previous prices. I could be mis-remembering, however. I'm sure you have a better handle on that than I do.

Comment

• 56hotrod
              56hotrod commented
              Editing a comment
              Well we will see what the future holds. Nice M1C by the way!

No doubt. The CMP maintains Le Carre spy novel-type secrecy so we'll all have to wait!

Thank you! Because of what I read in Canfield about a WW2-built rifle more likely to have seen action, I went with this over the 1952-built, although the 1952's at the TMP were prettier, in part because they were Service Grades. Moreover, as a collector at what I would call the advanced beginner stage, my focus is evolving and it's doing so toward WW2 rifles. At present, all of mine are WW2 with the exception of two IHC's. One IHC I wish to keep because it's a rare early one, and the other I need to let go, despite it also being a rare early-ish one. I just can't afford to have two of the same thing, particularly after having bought this M1C.
            Last edited by adanac; 05-14-2022, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Cool rifle, congrats on getting it!
              m14brian

Comment

Working...
              X