M1D question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1D question

20 years ago, I loaned money to a friend and as collateral, I received a M1D Garand. The friend had a friend who had signed up for the CMP auction or drawing and received this rifle. The guy's wife would not let him keep it so, he sold it to my friend who shot 16rds through it and put it away. When I received it I got the original shipping box with the accessories still in the unopened Gov. packages except the flash hider in and opened wrap. I did not get the CMP paperwork since I was just holding the rifle until he came up with the money. He never has and now I am not letting it go which he still can't repay so, after 20 + years, it's mine. The friend is looking for the papers for me now. The rifle bag was opened from one end and still in the box. The return shipping label is still on the box as pictured. Here is a picture of the label on the bag. I have shot 8 rds through it 20 years ago, cleaned and sets in my safe. My question is, was this a CMP assembled rifle or Gov issue? Value?
    Last edited by Cav Trooper; 04-08-2022, 08:55 PM.

Most likely Gov. issue. Contact CMP most likely for 25.00 you can get DCM records. M1D complete sell for 5K +

Comment

Sold in 1999 it would have been CMP not DCM. Need you see more pictures of packaging etc before making a value determination. Being from 1999 it should be legit, not a put together. For a $25 fee CMP can get you copy of DOD release papers and CMP sales info .
      Last edited by Orlando; 04-09-2022, 03:59 PM.

Comment

here are pictures. My camera and lighting isn't great. I have many more.

Comment

Its the real deal

Comment

Orlando, Thank you. I'm not selling it and really don't like the scope setup to shoot it. It'll be another one of my safe queens. Nice to know that it's worth more than I loaned/payed for it.

Comment

My friend is looking for the original paper work. He remembers putting it in a plastic bag and there was an inspector's check sheet or something similar with it. I'm hoping he can find it.

Comment

The paperwork would normally contain the typical CMP paperwork bill of sale and for a boxed complete M1D it would have a BII list containing all the items in the box, ie, cheek pad, scope, flash hider, etc. something like this photo from web. Click image for larger version

Name:	1CFE4366-BE5D-481C-A2AD-2FD9E9736EBA.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	552.4 KB
ID:	35312

Comment

One just like it sold on CMP forum $4650.00

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
                    One just like it sold on CMP forum $4650.00
                    Yes, in less than 24 hours too

Comment

That's nice to know.