Good sniper or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good sniper or not

Guys once again I need your expert advise. Thanks again for your advise a couple of weeks ago on the one I was considering that appeared the have an incorrect barrel. I have run across another M1D and again I solicit your expert opinions on whether to pursue or not. The attachment is what the owner has said about it. If I read it correctly the rifle was purchased from CMP and he has a certificate. I need to ask if the certificate says it’s an M1 or an M1D. It has the 555 barrel but evidently it was pieced together with correct parts purchased from the CMP. He is going to send pictures as soon as his wife,who knows how, can do it. Do you think this would be worth pursuing and, if so, what would you pay for it. Thanks again.

Do you want a shooter or a collector? It would probably maker a decent shooter but IMO is not a collector rifle. If wanting a collector look for a rifle with DCM paperwork. Just remember a M1D is no more accurate than a standard garand other than it is scoped

Comment

I’m looking for a collector rifle. I don’t regularly shoot any of my military rifles as I don’t want to lessen their value.

Comment

Then IMO you need to look for a M1D with DCM paperwork. These were sold complete, not CMP put-togethers

Comment

Orlando I emailed the owner and asked him if the certificate said the rifle was an M1 or M1D. He said it said M1D. That raises a question. If the sniper parts were purchased separately from the CMP what happened to the original parts and how did the CMP categorize it as a M1D if the sniper parts were missing?

Comment

M1D's have barrel block for the scope mount
            Last edited by Orlando; 06-13-2021, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post
              M1D's have barrel block for the scope mount
              And that alone allows CMP to issue a COA certifying it as an original M1D. Whether it had all the M1D accessories with it didn't matter. Any that did, post DCM, were all sold for premium prices at auction.

If you want a collector grade with everything still in packages your only option nowadays will be a private person sale at prices you may not want to pay. They will be shocking. The one most important part of the whole equation will be to assure that all the correct paperwork is included with the rifle. No paperwork, no sale since there is no other way to determine authenticity without it. Orlando is spot on that you will want to see DCM or CMP auction sale documentation. Without it, it's just another put together M1D in any collectors mind forever.

Comment

Working...
              X