Is this a correct M1D barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this a correct M1D barrel

I’m considering purchasing a M1D from a friend who is pretty knowledgeable and a serious collector. Is says the rifle is a correct sniper. It’s Springfield with a 5330xxx SN which places its manufacture between 54-57. Everything except the barrel seems good. I have understood that a correct sniper barrel has a drawing number ending in “555”. I removed the hand guards and op rod so I could see the whole barrel and there are 2 sets of numbers. The one on the top of the barrel is D35448-28-A-65. The one in the right side behind the op rod is 1 S A 2 44. I know the D35448 drawing number was used from 6-40 thru 12-57. I believe the other number indicates a Springfield barrel made in 2-44. How did a 1944 barrel get into a 1954-57 rifle. Is this a correct correct barrel or should it be a “555” barrel. My friend says not all snipers used the “555” barrel. I really need some advice before I fork over in excess of $3,000. Thanks for the help.

Can you post photos of the barrel stamping top and right side and also of the mounting block and scope mount.

Comment

RDS thank you for your help. I ca only send 5 pics so I’ll post another with the other 5. Please let me know if they didn’t come through and I’ll try emailing them if you’d give me an email address. If you could give me some idea of what the rifle is worth that would be great. It’s in very good condition.

Comment

RDS here art the other pictures

Comment

The barrel is a SA 2-44 barrel (manufactured Feb. 1944) . Is the gas port chrome plated? From the photo of the scope base shows its missing the retaining pin. The pins were staked in place. I see no evidence of staking. Original SA M1D barrels were manufactured 1951 thru 1953. Does the stock have any markings? Does it have leather cheek pad and flash hider?
          Last edited by RDS; 05-25-2021, 11:51 AM.

Comment

RDS I see no evidence of chrome on the gas port. The tip of the op rod is chrome. It does have a 5 prong flash hider with no markings and a leather cheek pad marked MRT 6-53. I can find no markings on the stock but there could be some under the cheek pad which I will not try to take off as the leather bindings are very tight. I’m sending you 12 additional photos which will take 3 posts. Also here are the drawing numbers i can see and their serial number ranges from usriflecal30m1.com.

bolt 6628287-SA Z-3 5800000-5899000
            hammer C46008-7 SA 3100001-3400000
            op rod 6535382-SA 3880901-6100500
            receiver F6528291 A 57 5458001-6099905
            trigger housing 6528290 if type 12 4200001-5488246, if type 13 5793848-6099905

It appears that the only correct parts for the 5330xxx serial number are the op rod and the trigger housing if it is a type 12. Even the receiver drawing number is not correct for the serial number which I don’t understand. Based on all this it appears to me that the most likely scenario is that someone purchased the rifle after it had been through a rebuild at which time the original barrel was replaced with the 2-44 barrel as well as other parts. This I can’t verify because I can’t find any markings. Either that or they replaced the barrel with the 2-44 barrel believing it to be a correct M1D barrel and purchased the parts to convert it to a sniper. I question the rebuild because it was manufactured after the Korean War and should not have had enough use to require a rebuild. I also don’t believe it was done at CMP. If CMP had done the mod or had taken in a sniper needing a replacement barrel I believe they would have used a correct barrel. Finally I have not seen evidence to convince me that any barrel other than a “555” barrel is correct. In any case still a lot of unanswered questions. Right now my gut says walk away because of too many unknowns and the price is right up there with a documented one. I’ll hold final judgement until I see you opinion. Thanks.

Comment

RDS here is the second set of photos.

Comment

RDS this is the last set

Comment

Go with your gut feeling. Save your money for a documented M1D.

Comment

RDS. Thank you for all your info and advice I’m going to return it and look out for a documented one. One last quick question.do you happen to,have a picture you could post that would show what a pinned block looks like so I know what exactly to look for in the future?

Comment

Check out internet photos of M1 D barrels. Its a heavy cross stamp. I sold my M1 D as it was difficult to shoot left handed. One of the dumbest things I did.

Comment

Ghost07. I noticed your friend said the rifle was a correct M1D.....not a USGI built M1D. Anyone can build a M1D with correct or reproduction parts.

Here is a picture of the stake marks around the pin on the barrel block. It's not a great picture of my M1D, but you can see the stake marks

Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost07 View Post
                          RDS. Thank you for all your info and advice I’m going to return it and look out for a documented one. One last quick question.do you happen to,have a picture you could post that would show what a pinned block looks like so I know what exactly to look for in the future?
                          I know this is an old thread but, you made a good choice. Nothing about that M1D you were considering was "correct" in any shape or form. Maybe not even the cheek piece. There are so many incorrect things about the rifle it would be hard to list them all. Highlights are the repro, pressed on, non pinned on barrel block, the repro scope mount, repro flash hider to name the most obvious. Essentially it's probably a badly butchered FG or SG rifle that should have been left alone as as a mixmaster shooter. Now even the decent 1944 barrel has been ruined. It originally had more value that the entire rifle has now after being badly modified.

It make me sick seeing a good rifle treated in such a manner. About your "knowledgeable" collector friend? It's better I make no comment except a friend that would sell that to a friend under a "correct" pretense isn't a friend at all.
                          Last edited by lapriester; 09-12-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jak View Post
                            Ghost07. I noticed your friend said the rifle was a correct M1D.....not a USGI built M1D. Anyone can build a M1D with correct or reproduction parts.

Here is a picture of the stake marks around the pin on the barrel block. It's not a great picture of my M1D, but you can see the stake marks

LOL, there wasn't a single correct part on that rifle built or otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                            X