mid 1942 Springfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mid 1942 Springfield

I have owned this rifle for a very long time, some restoration was done. I did put on the Type 1
    lock bar. Barrel is (upsidedown) S-A 6-42 without chrome, exc bore TE 4.0. Bolt is the very early
    Revision 12 RE5B that still has the hole through the right lug like the revision 2 bolts. Op rod is un-cut
    rev 3. Follower is 8 and op rod catch without lip on accelerator. The stock is a short channel SA GHS
    with faint cartouche. The lower band has a U stamped on it, Other rifles from this period have different
    letters stamped on the lower band too. There is a number 2 on the rear sight cover that's been on there
    for a long time, must be a cover mark as there isn't any reason to stamp anything on the cover ?

Another beauty, RCS!!
    I have a lower band with an "A" stamped on it. Must be from the same period, right?
    Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

You are correct if it is a SA 1942 period lower band, about ten different letters are recorded (milsurps.com)by collectors. Unique only
      to the 1942 period.

Comment

Can you tell me how long the Op. Rod Catch with no lip was used?

Rob.

Comment

The lip was introduced on the accelerator in mid 1942 on Springfield rifles

Comment

Robert,
            What do you think about this clip latch? Mid-1942.......or IHC???

Thanks,
            --Brian
            Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

• CCyooper
              CCyooper commented
              Editing a comment
              If it is IHC it will have a square end ( most likely is). If 1942 would have a round end. I'm sure someone more qualified than me will chime in eventually.

Winchester perhaps? The A stood for Amoela (or something like that) steel.
            Jon

Comment

I have seen early sight covers with a letter/number stamped on them, low towards the bottom

Comment

It started with the SA flat rear sight cover after the drawing number was deleted

Comment

The early Winchester "flat rear sight covers" are without any number/letter or symbol and DuLite color

Comment

I've got some flat covers that have a mark that's not really a letter. It looks more like a cursive "X". Some do have letters. I'll have to look, make a list and post it.

Comment

There are some small weird/cryptic characters, etc., also stamped on the early ribbed covers too. Not as big as the 2 posted above.

Comment

Also a Boyt 42 sling on this rifle, 1942 was the last year for brass on Boyt slings. Also have a steel Boyt 42 dated sling too

Comment

Working...
                        X