Big question on SA production barrels during WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big question on SA production barrels during WW2

Did Springfield production barrels ever received the swaging (rollers around shoulder) during installation ?
    Attached Files

Years back at North Store when CMP sold woodless Garands I would see this was done to some WWII rifles

Comment

I have seen SA barrels with early post WW2 dates (1946-47) and contact barrels like Buffalo Arms with the swaging roller mark on the shoulder.

I think you would need to find a WW2 receiver with a barrel dated the same month that has the swaging on the shoulder - and even then you could not be 100% certain that it was done during production

Comment

As I remember I saw the swaging was on the woodless Danes. They were known for having original barrels and many original WWII parts. I just never paid alot of attention to them as far as swagging and original barrels.

Comment

The swaging roller mark on the barrel in my first post is from a 80K receiver with a Buffalo Arms rev 19 barrel (new condition). I got this rifle from my fathers Coho fishing friend who had served in WW2 in a USMC Seabee Battalion. He still had the M1 manual with his name inside. Some original looking parts like the bolt and small parts, but mix-master Ww2 parts rifle. Dark finish exc condition. My fathers friend said he purchased this rifle from a USMC Officer at the wars end.

Back to thoughts on new barrel installation at Springfield during WW2, I really doubt there would be another station along the assembly line to swage roll new barrels that did not index as there were alot of new barrels available to fit
          Last edited by RCS; 07-23-2022, 09:01 PM.

Comment

While I doubt SA would do it during original build I often wonder if WRA plated barrels/receivers during production or if that was done during rebuild too. I don’t believe my BA barrel is swaged.

Comment

Working...
            X