Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Proof marks and stamp marks on stock

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new member but have owned a Garand or two for a long time. I've also been a "lurker" here for a few years.
    I have a WWII receiver, (2137xxx) Springfield Armory M1 with a very worn black walnut stock containing two proof marks, (one serif P in a circle and one with no circle and not serif). There are also three cartouche stampings. These are not very visible without bright angled lighting, but they are there! The first is under the receiver on the left side. It's an S A with the initials "NFR".
    Beside and to the right of the Springfield Armory stamping is an SA Ordinance Wheel stamping. Again, very faint but readable.
    Last stamp is on the left side near the buttstock is a stamping of B A and just below that and centered is the number "3".
    The stock itself has no cracks and no repairs though it has a few chips missing here and there.
    Do you think this stock actually made it through two or maybe three visits to be rebuilt or checked for spec before returning to service?
    The rifle was a CMP piece from 2018 per my FOIA request after acquiring it in a private sale earlier this year.
    Thanks in Advance and Carry on!

Vacula

The SA/NFR and crossed cannon barrels were the original armory acceptance stamps. The BA/3 is a rebuild stamp from Benecia Arsenal.
    Jon

Comment

Thanks TJT. I wasn't sure and this is the first one I've owned with that many stamps still visible.
      What would the "3" be indicative of with the B A stamping?

Comment

The inspector's number.
        Jon

Comment

Working...
        X