Interesting Winchester no trap WRA WB stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Winchester no trap WRA WB stock

This came from the Wisconsin stock cache and was in the process of being converted to trapdoor when when for some reason was discontinued.

I have only seen one other Winchester stock with the G stamp on the pistol grip Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn2565.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	34185 Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn2564.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	34186 Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn2563.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	34187 Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn2561.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	34188

Nice Springfield buttplate 😉

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010035_0031_031.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	34214 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010030_0025.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	34213 Paul, your the only collector to notice the SA solid butt plate. Often times the trap door buttplate was just attached to the no trap stock, of course this would leave a gap at the toe of the stock. years ago I saw a nice DCM rifle with a no trap stock and trapdoor buttplate. Also on the above WRA WB stock, I notice some unusual milling in the trigger guard recess ?

A few solid buttplates in the last photo, key to SA is the amount of diamond points at the toe, will tell if it has a drawing number or not. Winchester solid buttplate with drawing number will come from Rathway NJ Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010008.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	34212

Comment

Like how that stock looks like it was hand hewn in the pistol grip area.

Comment

Springfield stocks show the same drawing knife type marks too, all come from rebuilding facilities that used this procedure which also removed small dents and cartouches. I have seen a number of early Winchester no trap stocks with nice cartouches and un-altered no trap butts, none of them show these scrapping or hand hewn marks. Certain self styled Winchester experts would lead you to believe that Winchester, in their desperation to fill the E. O. order for 500 rifles, would hand carve their stocks. Winchester was manufacturing Model 54 and Model 70 rifle stocks long before WW2, these stocks have the same profile as the M1 rifle stock.

Comment

my photo shows the ultra rare Winchester solid butt plate with the drawing number inside, excellent fake from NJ Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn2611.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	34378

Comment

Working...
            X