1943 Springfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1943 Springfield

I got a 1943 Springfield Garand in the early 90’s from the DCM, just before they shut down and became the CMP and essentially became a retail outlet. At the time it was just an interesting way to get a good historical rifle for dirt cheap. A friend at work told me about the DCM, and I could get whatever lake city practice match ammo he had left hiding in his closet for it since he no longer owned a garand. He shot service rifle for years all over the country, started with garands, then m1a, and when I met him he shot AR’s. Turns out he had around 200 rounds left. I enjoyed shooting that ammo, and the rifle was accurate enough I decided to hunt with it for a while. I had lots of 150gr soft points for reloading in my 308’s so I bought some dies and IMR4895. Load development started and stopped with the first 8 rounds I loaded using the minimum charge in one of my loading manuals with a garand section. That load was probably a little more accurate than the practice match ammo and plenty good enough for open sights and 200 yard max deer hunting, where I hunted with it I think the maximum range I might have ever seen was closer to 140 yards. Killed a few deer with it in 2 years and pretty much put it in the safe and never shot it again until yesterday. I stopped reloading for my 308’s years ago and came across just under 30 of the 150gr soft points I used to use, went through my brass and found some of the lake city brass. I couldn’t find my old load data, so I looked at Hornady’s current garand data and I know there starting load for IMR4895 was higher than what I used years ago, so I used the H4895 starting load of 46 grains with my old IMR 4895. I have a 5 round en-bloc clip so I loaded 5, went out on the front deck, set up the labradar and fired them. Not a bad ES but only 5 rounds, 37fps, at an average 2719 fps, and they hit and grouped well right where my sights were set from years ago on my 110 yard target by the barn. On my property the longest shot that is remotely possible is 65 yards so no need to go further with reloading. Loaded another 5 and I’ll see if I can get a deer this year with it.

I never took the time to find out anything about my garand other than looking up the serial number and seeing it was a 1943, which is why I am here now. I’ve never fully stripped it, only taken out the trigger and separated the stock for the rifle for cleaning before, and that is as far as I took it down today to take pictures and ask here what I have, and estimate value.

Edited to add, the sights are the ones they all got after the war. Didn't think to take a picture of them.

Barrel Stamp:

Bolt:

Reciever:

Operating Rod:

Trigger housing:

Stock markings, there are only these two on entire stock, mount ranier.

Stock:

Serial number:

Hammer:

Muzzle end:

Butt plate, I know there are markings inside, but I’ve never taken it off. It is so worn I’m guessing it is original.
    Last edited by karlh; 11-15-2021, 06:16 PM.

By using data from sn 1375774 and 1571899 the correct parts for your 1.4 rifle should be the following:

Bolt diamond heat <>, op rod rev 6 SA uncut, trigger group -12-SA, hammer 3SA, safety 9SA, trigger guard forged, follower 11, follower rod short fork, rear hand guard clip stamped, sight knobs knurled with type 2 lock bar. Stock SA EMcF cartouche.

Your M R stamp (Ft Lewis) is Mt Rainier rebuild stamp

Comment

Looks like a nice piece based on your photos.

Comment

Working...
      X