My new M1 springfield ww2 308 or 06 cal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new M1 springfield ww2 308 or 06 cal

Bought this few days ago.ww2 receiver ww2 barrel dated 42 .has natinal match sights the rifle.MRT SLING .All parts are springfield .iam not sure if 308 or 30/06 cal .the 30/06 full enbloc dont fit .iam not sure rifle seems very tight thanks for help
    Attached Files

Your bolt is not latched all the way back. Have you disassembled the rifle ?
    Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

Your rifle probably could use greasing up. This is a good reference for lubrication of a Garand: Home page (garandgear.com)
      Lots of great information here: M1 Garand Tutorials (garandgear.com)
      The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
      The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

It cocks dry fire.needs grease I have a grease kit inside rifle ok try it thank you

Comment

Drop an 06 round in the chamber. If it's not sticking out a half inch it's 30-'06.
          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jak View Post
            Your bolt is not latched all the way back. Have you disassembled the rifle ?
            I agree as long as you know what you're doing.

Comment

I grease the rifle inside was dry it works now.had original tube GI GREASE SMELLS FUNNY IT WORKKS OLD RIFLE .THANKS GENTS HAVE A GOOD DAY.FOR MINUTE THOUGHT 308 CAL TRY IT OUT THIS WEEKEND

Comment

First, break it down to the three major components. Release the main spring with the op rod ( carefully). Then there be no pressure on the bolt system. If it were rebuilt to a 308 win. There would be a block in the mag well to replace the shorten length of the cartridge. Beautiful stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Graybeard View Post
                  If it were rebuilt to a 308 win. There would be a block in the mag well to replace the shorten length of the cartridge.
                  Some do, some dont, I dont run blocks in any of my 308 garands

Comment

Don't know if you figured your issue but in your photo, your follower and slide are installed backwards. Break your rifle down and turn it around then try and pull your op rod all the way back and bolt should lock open correctly.

Comment

1) Your follower is installed backwards.
                      2) You are trying to install the full enbloc without the bolt locked fully to the rear which you can't do with the follower in backwards.
                      3) No amount of greasing or lubrication will help the above until you properly install the follower.
                      4) 30-06 rounds will not fit in a 308 chamber. The chamber is substantially shorter and the bolt would never close.
                      5) It doesn't take a special enbloc, nor do you need a spacer to use 308 in a Garand chambered for 308. But IT DOES take a rifle chambered for 308. Well, kinda'. You could fire a 308 round in a 30-06 chambered rifle but you'll have the weirdest looking fired brass you've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by lapriester View Post
                        1) Your follower is installed backwards.
                        2) You are trying to install the full enbloc without the bolt locked fully to the rear which you can't do with the follower in backwards.
                        3) No amount of greasing or lubrication will help the above until you properly install the follower.
                        Nice catch. Didn't know you could do that. Stored in the brain drive.

Comment

Lapriester, Been there, done that. Fired an 8 round enbloc of .7.62 in a .30-06 rifle. Let just say that I didn’t reload those cartridges.

Comment

Any good automotive chassis grease will work fine for the Garand.
                            The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                            The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Working...
                            X