First M1 Garand, how did I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First M1 Garand, how did I do?

Like the title states. I’m just now diving deep and learning so much. So far I know I need to find a ghs stock but it’s been difficult. Here are some pics

More pics

Comment

Nice post war rebuild. It was rifles like this that fought the Korean War and stood guard during the cold war.

Comment

Its a nice rifle and sure it will serve you well but personally I would not waste the $$$ on a GHS stock for this rifle. Depending what you paid for the rifle a nice GHS stock would cost you as much as the rifle. Enjoy your garand

Comment

Nice first M1. If your intention with the stock is to make it like it would've been when arsenal new, you'd need an E Mc F stock. If you're looking for what stock it MAY have had on it after rebuild, virtually ANY stock would be acceptable. Remember that as a rebuilt rifle, no effort was made for parts "correctness" per se. The only "correctness" was to have working, battle-ready rifles in the hands of the front line soldiers.
          Jon

Comment

Looks to be very clean indeed. I wouldn’t kick it outta bed! Enjoy!

Keep em’ shooting!

Comment

Nice rifle, congrats on your first!

Comment

Thanks everyone, my goal is to try to restore it to its original build. Like I said I’m still learning and taking it all in. I know I may have a lot of work ahead of me but it’s about the thrill of the hunt right? I figure first I’ll try to hunt down that E Mc F stock. What should I try to locate next?

Comment

• TJT
                  TJT
                  Gunnery Sergeant
                  TJT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There's no "order". Make a list and check it off as you go.
                  Jon

You are going to find though that parts for 6 digit rifles will be very hard to find and very cost prohibitive. There's no easy way to say that. A barrel alone will probably cost you $400-$600 depending on condition. You may not want to know what a stock in decent condition with good Cartouches will cost you.

Comment

I would suggest putting out a want to buy add in the classifieds on this forum stating your intentions. I am sure you will get some responses. Six digit parts are hard to find and 5 digits are even harder and more expensive if not nearly impossible. Best luck on your efforts! Do not be in a rush! Have patience, and it will pay off!

Keep em’ shooting!

Comment

Working...
                  X