Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Crossed Cannons

Hello All,

My grandfather recently gave me an M1, and I have been comparing all the s/n and drawing numbers, and looks to be a Sept 1942 production. All the numbers from jive except for the barrel which is June 1946. But the stock has me stumped. There is a B.A stamp in the left shoulder stock along with a very faint 4 initial stamp, which I understand to be the Arsenal Stamp from California where there was work done to it, (likely the barrel replacement) Which also explains the 2nd P stamp on the grip.

So here is the confusing part, I have looked all over and I do not see the SA-GHS or the crossed cannons on the left side of the stock. could this have been worn off, or do this mean the stock is not original.

Thank you for any help you can provide me.

Joe

The SA GHS cartouche was replaced around June 1942 with the SA EMcF cartouche, both large and small wheel crossed cannon stamps were in use

During rebuild, sometimes the original markings are removed and sometimes they remain

here is an example of a WRA stock Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010018_0019.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	577.9 KB
ID:	30952

Comment

So here are a couple of pictures of the the Marks that are there and/or where they should be. I can't make anything out on the left side above the trigger. Thoughts?

Comment

The second non serif P in a circle on the grip is a second proof firing, barrel installation.

the OG is from Ogden Arsenal and the BA from Benicia Asensal

Comment

Sorry to be dense about this. But even without the SA-GHS and the Crossed Cannon Cartouche visible, could it be assumed that stock is original and not a copy. I have no intentions of ever selling it, so I'm not trying to value it, but am just curious about what the history of it can be.

Thanks again for helping me out.

Joe

Comment

A Springfield Sept 1942 rifle would not have a SA GHS cartouche, when issued it had a SA EMcF cartouche

A SA GHS stock would normally have a two digit number in the barrel channel near the magazine well

Original cartouches wear off or are removed

Comment

Working...
            X