• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winchester firing pin slot in bolt

Winchester used both a short and long firing pin slot in their bolts

I am looking for a photo or two for a friend, any help would be appreciated

RS

First I have heard of this, do you know the serial range for the change of slot?

Comment

Just mailed some of these Winchester bolt drawings and photos to a friend doing research

early bolt no bottom hole, standard length firing pin slot - step on right lug

later bolt with bottom hole, longer length firing pin slot - no step on right lug

There are variations, I found photos in a 2004 jouster forum page that I saved

Charles Redfield made actual size line drawings with dimensions for Billy Pyle's "The Garand Stand Report"

Comment

I have access to the original WRA blueprints ,what are you actually calling slot ? Are you talking about the where the tail fits?

Comment

Here is the link for the firing pin 1937 dated

http://library.centerofthewest.org/d...C/id/153/rec/6

Comment

Here is the bolt dated same, all of the fixtures,prints and gages can be found at the McCraken library.

http://library.centerofthewest.org/d.../id/2773/rec/6

Comment

My friend, Charles Redfield did some actual size line drawings of Winchester bolt variations (I have no way to show them here) the slot on the bottom of the Winchester bolts that are cut for the firing pin tang have two lengths. They are a short and long length. Also early bolts do not have the hole in the bottom. Early bolts have a step on the right locking lug and later bolts are "no step"

Comment

Here is the 1937 short tang slot and 1942 long tang slot
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting the information on the firing pin tang slot.

Also have a question, was Winchester making drawings of the M1 back in 1937 as I have photos of a receipt of drawings and a serial number 1607 rifle that was sent to Winchester in Sept 1938, these were suppose to be the first drawings Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010027.jpg Views:	7 Size:	147.6 KB ID:	30166 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010028.jpg Views:	7 Size:	160.4 KB ID:	30167 and actual rifle sent to Winchester. If Winchester had there own drawings in 1937 they must have received information from Springfield before Sept 1938 ?
                  Attached Files
                  RCS
                  Advanced Collector
                  Last edited by RCS; 06-30-2021, 01:59 PM.

Comment

here is the photo of rifle 1607 Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010033.jpg Views:	5 Size:	151.2 KB ID:	30171
                    Attached Files
                    RCS
                    Advanced Collector
                    Last edited by RCS; 06-30-2021, 01:59 PM.

Comment

August 2nd 1937
                      Attached Files

Comment

So Winchester had the M1 rifle drawings in 1937

Many years ago, an advanced M1 collector reported that he found a Winchester marked gas trap barrel from the east coast area

Comment

Does anyone know when Winchester received the drawings of the M1 Rifle ? did Remington also receive them too ?

I understand serial number 15070 is still at Cody ? Would there be any information on serial number 11919 that was
                          also sent to Winchester ?

Comment

Working...
                          X