Out of Spec 1943 Barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of Spec 1943 Barrels

Hi everyone, does anyone know which months barrels were created out of spec so can be used with the saw cut gas cylinders?

I know the barrels were made out of spec first and the modification was a thing done to try and remedy this.

Many thanks!

Scott

There were more saw cut gas cylinders than barrels so even once the "problem" was solved, the saw cut cylinders continued to be used until they were all gone. I read some where years ago that some NM builders actually preferred the cut cylinders because they could be tightened down without having to peen the cylinder or barrel splines.
    Jon

Comment

There were two types of cuts. Cut was thru the sight base of the gas cylinder and can be either diagonal or straight cut. Post war the barrel gas port was chrome plated during the rebuild program. Original WWII dated M1 Garand barrels with out chrome plated gas ports bring a premium.

Comment

The chrome plating was to mitigate erosion at the port.
        Jon

Comment

Jon do you have the date ordnance started chrome plating gas ports? I have a SA 12-46 barrel that is not chrome plated.
          Last edited by RDS; 05-30-2021, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• TJT
            TJT commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll have to check the date(s). It's not in my memory bank right now. I've disremenbered a lot of the data in the past 40 years.
            Jon

I have a rifle Feb 45 with a June 45 barrel and I'm sure it wasn't.

Scott

Comment

There is some documentation on some late 1941 SA barrels that were under dimension at the gas port area. These barrels were set aside and repaired as a group by chrome plating the barrel in the gas port area, then installed on new production receivers in the early 501xxx to 544xxx serial ranges. There are more, this is just what i found to date. The first rifle is serial numbered 544121 and
            has the British proof marks under the operating rod, the barrel is dated S-A 10-41 and has a chromed gas port area. All the other parts are correct for s/n 544121 including a type 1 lock bar. This rifle was purchased by Harold Murtz who worked part-time at Klein's Sporting Goods in Chicago in 1964. In 1989, Mr Murtz wrote a letter to Billy Pyle explaining how he bought this rifle but really did
            not use it as he had quite a collection and he was Senior Staff Editor at Gun Digest. I made a data sheet on this rifle. Ed Byrns also notified me that he found s/n 501023 with London Proofs on a barrel dated S-A 9-41 and chromed gas port. This rifle, Ed pointed out also had the last type of flush nut with the flat face.

Years ago Tony Pucci also had an article in his newsletter about early receivers that had the front chrome plate to draw a new barrel for installation

Comment

• TJT
              TJT commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for that info. It does joggle the mind a bit and I remember about the receiver plating too now.
              Jon
          Working...
          X