New purchase of a 1944 SA Garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New purchase of a 1944 SA Garand

I bought this rifle, S/N# 3226497, from a local collector who had it in his safe for 30 years. He told me that it was issued, went to the ETO, was barely used, and returned to the U.S.
    I always wanted a 1944 Garand to go with my unissued '44 1911A1. I got an ample supply of Lake City ammo in the deal.
    This rifle has a bright chamber, beautiful SA/GAW stock with what appears to be an arsenal repaired crack on the left side. The parkerizing is original and in excellent condition. There is a yellow-capped plastic tube with cleaning tools (the pull-through unused) in the lower hole inside the stock. I was told the muzzle wear is a 1 but will verify for myself. I cross-referenced all the draw numbers I could find and most importantly the barrel, bolt and receiver are all within a month or so production date. Is there a way for me to find out any more information about this rifle? Are there other part numbers I could look for? (I don't want to take it apart too much). I may not even fire it. I look forward to any responses to this post. Thank you.

Here are the draw/part numbers I found.

Comment

Why not fire it??

Comment

• 3Panther
        3Panther commented
        Editing a comment
        OK you've convinced me. I'll zero it at 200 and go from there.

Before you use it, suggest you go ahead and disassemble it. Put a thin film of grease on every metal surface to prevent any rust. Then grease it for sure in all the places shown in this link:
      A Tutorial on how to apply grease to your M1 Garand Rifle. Grease is critical for proper function of the rifle and we'll walk you through the process.

This will minimize wear, allow reliable function (the Garand MUST be greased) and will preserve the rifle for years.
      The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
      The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

The S in the SA over GAW seems upside-down, does not look right or maybe the angle of the photo. Should show it to a stock expert like Rick Borecky

Comment

Get yourself either a combo tool or the later cleaning rod set (make sure it has the combo tool that goes with it) and a grease tub for the upper hole.
          Libertytreecollectors.com has early and later large combo tools, the later cleaning kit (with rods and the combo tool that goes with it), and the later grease tubs, but you can find them elsewhere too. Might even be for a slicker price. I think Numrich used to have them too. The Lubriplate filled tubs (lighter) are fine too.
          If you go to the manual below on page 22, it shows what goes where.

Comment

I normally put the later issue sets in the buttstock compartments in the rifle I'm using, just in case. I have used them to clear stuff that got in the barrel from slipping, or pushing through dense brush. They also were used for bolt disassembly and other maintenance unique to the Garand. Might as well keep them with the rifle.
            I put a primed, unloaded cartridge in my other shooting gear. A barrel plugged with snow from a fall or slip is left clear and dry from the primer alone.
            The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
            The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Nit to nit pick about original finish. But check the punch mark in front of the sights on the receiver. If you see the ring of the crater made by the punch mark, your one lucky dude, as this indicates it never been refinished.

Comment

How does the seller know it went to Europe? What is the rifle's provinance? There's an old adage to live by: "Buy the rifle, NOT the story".
                I would also suggest you shoot the rifle and get familiar with it before focusing on how "right" it is.
                Jon

Comment

Great advice from Jon, buy the rifle not the story. It would be great if it is indeed true, but if not, you just have a fine example of a Garand. Nothing wrong with that. Whether you decide to shoot it or enjoy it as a safe queen, enjoy your purchase!

Comment

SA9 Op Rod was to the end of WWII production in two variations

Comment

• TJT
                      TJT commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This s/n should be the curved side -9 op rod.
                      Jon

Curious to know if you were shown a note from a previous owner of this rifle when it was sold to you.

Comment

I hate to but, I have to question the originality of the SA GAW and cross cannon Cartouches. They're too perfect and the S just isn't right. Small loop on the bottom large on top.

Comment

Working...
                      X