Latest Service Grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest Service Grade

Well she finally made it........five days overdue....but she made it! Born around July-August 1942. Needless to say, I am very pleased with the old girl. IHC op rod....11 follower and just your typical mishmash of parts. I stickied for a WWII serial, but I didn’t sticky for GI wood and somehow wound up with it anyway! Nice little bonus. Will take to the range as soon as I can get some ammo loaded. The first round of pics are before. The shots following the disassembly pics are “After” cleaning the wood with a 50/50 BLO and acetone mixture with 0000 steel wool.
    Attached Files

More pics and disassembly.
    Attached Files

Comment

Disassembly pics and cleaning the wood
      Attached Files

Comment

“After” and reassembly
        Attached Files

Comment

Final pic of left side
          Attached Files

Comment

Love it, congrats!!
            Looks to be so clean......how dirty was it overall pre-cleaning?
            Thanks for sharing!!!
            Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Devil View Post
              Love it, congrats!!
              Looks to be so clean......how dirty was it overall pre-cleaning?
              Thanks for sharing!!!
              Thank you! The metal was perfect except for a few permanently adhered cosmoline stains. The wood was the dirtiest. Just in picking the rifle up, you could feel grime and stickiness, but it cleaned right up. Couldn’t really see too much, but it sure could be felt though. All in all, not too bad really, just needed a little finer attention is all.
              Last edited by SA1941; 03-03-2021, 06:53 AM.

Comment

That sight ring ding from transport on the left wrist area is a bit unfortunate, but fixable. (At least it missed the stamping.) Probably preaching to the choir here, but you can put a drop or so of water in the ding to get it to swell up some and/or add a little steam from the point of an iron and a wet rag to get that to come up after letting that water drop (or several) soak in. Might only get it partially up, but once it's up where you are happy, just a dab of BLO in that area and you should be good. As far as the Cosmoline stains go, give a little direct application of acetone to those areas a few times and you might get them to knock loose. If they don't bother you, ignore them. Otherwise, looking pretty slick!

BTW: Almost forgot. If you get one of these, the wife won't get pissed you "borrowed" the iron for non-ironing duties and besides, it's smaller.
                https://www.rcplanet.com/tools/cover...SABEgJpVfD_BwE
                Last edited by MRusan; 03-03-2021, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• SA1941
                  SA1941 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! I was debating about steaming it out, but since that is the worst area on the whole rifle, I think I will leave well enough alone. I actually do have an 80s vintage monokote iron that my dad used building gas models back in the day. If I get ambitious one day I might attempt to bring it up a little, but for now I don’t want to mess with it too much. Overall she is in really good shape and I’m a very happy camper!

Thankfully, I’m not married so I have no one to squawk about using household appliances for “unintended” purposes!
              Working...
              X