Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1943 Springfield Garand. What do I have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1943 Springfield Garand. What do I have?

I just picked up a Garand from the CMP yesterday. I have been doing a lot of reading, but I am a bit of a novice here and I figured I would post here to see what additional information y'all may be able to provide. Here's the basic run down:

Receiver: Springfield Armory S/N: 1378XXX, dates February 1943
    Lower portion of the receiver S7B, D28291 17, stamped VV with a diamond (picture below)
    Barrel: 3-S-A-1-43
    Trigger group: D28290-8-SA
    Hammer: C46008-1 WRA
    Safety: SA-11
    Bolt: D28287-19SA, A-7, dates 1944
    Op rod: D35382 3 SA, no relief cut
    Stock: P proof mark and an RA-P cartouche, painted rack number of 23
    Rear sight: locking bar style correct for the age
    Trigger guard: milled
    Follower: milled

Current conclusions: It was a 1943 SA Garand. The RP-A on the stock indicates it went through Raritan Armory and the -P indicates Peterson. Apparently these rebuilds occurred up until August of 1947. With the bolt being a 1944 and the receiver and barrel matching, my current conclusion is that this rifle was rebuilt sometime between 44-47. From my understanding Winchester only made Garands during the war.

Questions:
    Does anyone have any additional information about Raritan rebuilds? I know the barrel was not swapped, but the hammer is a Winchester meaning at some point the hammer was swapped most likely at Raritan since if was an SA rebuild it would have an SA hammer.
    Did Raritan get Garands back from overseas and proceed to replace worn parts and throw in whatever they had available, or perhaps was this a field replacement?
    With the op rod not having a relief cut does this infer an earlier rebuild or did some just slip through the cracks?
    Has anyone run into rack numbers or have information about placement and how they were added (i.e. painted vs stamped, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any help, and apologies for anything that I may have wrong. Let me know if theres any specific pictures you'd like to see.

Nice example with GI wood and lock bar sights! Great find!

Comment

Actually I think you have just about everything covered. Sounds like you have a minimum mixmaster. The original barrel is a real plus as is the uncut op rod. They didn't automatically replace uncuts in rebuilds. If the op rod was fully in spec I suspect they felt no reason to replace it.

Comment

I know there’s a lot of back and forth on shooting Garands with uncut op rods. Any advice on that?

Comment

• TJT
          TJT commented
          Editing a comment
          In 40 years of shooting the M1 rifle I've never had a problem from an uncut op rod. Remember, we won a world war with millions of uncut op rods. You're worrying about a non-issue.
          Jon

I shot mine with the uncut oprod yesterday, and it didn’t blow up. Think about it like this, they could use it in WW2 without issues. It’s safe as long as you have m2 ball garand specified ammo You’ll love shooting it man!

Comment

Finding ammo is the next task. That may prove harder than finding my Garand.

Comment

honestly, I looked on armslist and saw some surplus ammo on there. Like Greek surplus. I would give that a shot because it was way cheaper than everywhere else, and super cool.

Comment

ARMSLIST - For Sale: 30.06 M2 ball

Like this

Comment

Ask the others in the forum before buying though. I'm still somewhat new to this, but they might be able to help you out.

Comment

Appreciate the help guys! Currently the only ammo on armslist for me is corrosive.

Comment

I don't remember any of the Garands I've used during the past 34 years ever having stress relief cutouts on the operating rods. Some of them were used pretty hard, and no signs of failure either.
                    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Working...
                    X