My first Garand, Lots of pictures!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first Garand, Lots of pictures!

Always wanted a Garand and this one fell in my lap last weekend. Have been doing lots of research since then and it seems that everything is there and that it functions correctly, but have not shot it yet.
    I did disassemble the rifle and took lots of pictures. Am attaching them to get some feedback on what I have and next steps in my Garand journey.
    There are no pictures of the stock as it has been re-finished "big ugly swirl marks from a disc sander" and there are no visible cartouche markings on it. Sad, but true.
    Glad to be here!
    Jerry

ADDED: I should note that from what I could find, the revision levels after the drawing numbers on the parts and assemblies seem correct for the date the rifle was built except for the Winchester operating rod.
    Last edited by drumcorpschamp; 02-14-2021, 07:49 PM.

More pics.

Comment

More pics

Comment

Aaaand more pics

Comment

Yes more pics

Comment

Last one for now!

Comment

So far, it appears to have a substantial number is correct-for-serial parts.
              Your "fork" looks like a long fork, but should be a short fork.
              What is your bolt's drawing number?

Comment

• TJT
                TJT commented
                Editing a comment
                I would agree with the long fork. Good eyes.
                Jon

Sorry, I have attached a picture of the bolt that shows the numbers better than the other picture. The letter D at the beginning of the drawing number does not show well as it was not struck as deep as the other characters.
              Will look into the fork qnd try to clarify.
              Thanks for asking!
              Jerry

Comment

A question regarding long fork and short fork. Should my rifle function correctly with the long fork?
                Thanks,
                Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by drumcorpschamp View Post
                  A question regarding long fork and short fork. Should my rifle function correctly with the long fork?
                  Thanks,
                  Jerry
                  It should operate fine with the long fork. It was a replacement for the short fork follower rod.

Comment

The short forks had a habit of disconnecting from the follower arm when grenades were fired, so the long fork was an upgrade to eliminate that problem.
                    Jon

Comment

Thanks for the replies TJT and jak. I suppose I'll pay close attention when lobbing grenades with it!!
                      Jerry

Comment

Working...
                      X