1943 data needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1943 data needed.

I just purchased this rifle and would like to see what I may need to gently take it back to OEM.
    Serial number 1738570, barrel date 3-43 .
    I have not picked it up yet, but have spent a few minutes with it. (I have an uncut -6 op rod o the way as well as an original set of Type II lock bar rear sights.)

My questions:
    It has a welded saw cut gas cylinder. If you were restoring this rifle, would you replace it ? If so, with a narrow base or a wide base?
    When was this rifle manufactured?
    Does the front sight look correct for a 1943 Springfield?

Finally, I am looking at Duff's book but my 1738570 serial falls about mid-way between two rifles, 1571899 and 1860650.

Does anyone have a data sheet for a rifle that is closer to my gun ?

Thanks, for any help.
    Last edited by bayoned; 02-04-2021, 02:04 PM.

Here are some photos. The finish is more of a finer texture and greenish than the photos look.

Comment

A few more.
      BTW, what's with the "C" on the rear guard ring? I've never seen that or even a reference to one before.

Comment

The born on date doesn't quite match the barrel date. Barrel date is March 43, receiver between June and July 43. It might he original since the barrel is earlier and close but maybe not close enough. Data sheets for WWII rifles indicate barrels almost always matched build dates very close. But, it's possible under the first in, last out barrel pile rule a 3 month difference might be possible. If it were mine I call it correct.

The "C" could be nothing but an inspection stamp. The saw cut was a means of tightening the fit of the front sight on the gas cylinder. After cut the sight screw, when tightened sqeezes the cut and holds the sight tighter. They didn't weld them all but some rebuild armorys did after proof firing.That looks like a narrow base gas cylinder which would be correct, though saw cut. The front sight is not Springfield. It looks like it's Winchester. If you intended the rifle to be a shooter a Win front sight is a big improvement over the stock Soringfield.

Just be aware that making that rifle "OEM" (correct) is going to be a difficult, time consuming and expensive undertaking unless a ton of other parts on that mixmaster are correct to begin with.
        Last edited by lapriester; 02-09-2021, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Looks better than mine. I have a sister to yours #1703011. May or june of 43. 53 barrell, correct trigger hsg and an ihc op. Rod and 41 bolt. The main stock has been replaced and the handguards could be original-can't tell.
          Butch

Comment

There single letter stamp on mid 1942 into some 1943 lower bands, almost a dozen known, Ed Byrns has tracked them for years. The tack weld on the cut gas cylinder is from the rebuild and repacks
            found from 1952, the front sight is not SA. Have seen data on 1690415 reported as original with SA 6-43 barrel and SA EMcF stock with small crossed cannon

Comment

The saw cut was not for tightening up the front sight. There was a batch of barrels that had the OD undersize at that dimension. Rather than scrap a batch of barrels, it was decided to put the saw cut in the gas cylinders ( a cheaper and quicker fix than making new replacement barrels) so when the front sight was tightened the gas cylinder was SLIGHTLY crushed (for lack of a better term) and tightened up enough to be held securely in place on the undersized barrels.
              Jon

Comment

Working...
              X