Getting my first Garand- Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting my first Garand- Help Please

Hi All, brand new to the forum and looking for advice. I would love to get a WW2 M1. Been putting it off for like 10 years now, but I think it's finally time. Ultimate goal is to have an amazing piece of history, but occasionally be able to shoot it for fun. Where do I start? What to look for? I see a wide range of things on Gunbroker, but there's such a wide array of things offered at so many different price points. Is that the best place to look for one? Are there better locations? Thanks for any input.

Be forewarned, nearly all WWII Garands probably went through this process:
    American Rifleman | M1 Garand Rebuilds: History & MarkingsAmerican Rifleman | M1 Garand Rebuilds: History & Markings
    I would recommend going to the CMP and asking for a service grade with a WWII range serial number.
    You will get a solid, functional rifle that will probably be a good shooter.
    M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship Program (thecmp.org)
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

• Connecticut6
      Connecticut6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate the information! Been trying to do a lot of reading, but there is so much information out there. I was looking at CMP, one thing I was unsure of was will they honor a request for a WW2 serial number? Looking at the order forms it looks like they have only 1 Service Grade option available and it says, "M1 Garand, Luck of the draw for Springfield or Harrington & Richardson manufacturer. Orders will be filled with next available Service grade rifle." To my knowledge, HRA rifles would be Korea era, so I don't want to submit an order to them and end up with a 50's rifle. (I am sure it would be a great shooter, but the owning a piece of WWII history is what really motivates me.

You can put a "sticky" on the order asking for a WWII serial number. They do honor such requests according to others.
    The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
    The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

• Connecticut6
      Connecticut6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know! Thank you!

From you name I am guessing you live in Connecticut. If so, it is at least a 10 hour drive to the CMP North Store in Port Clinton, Ohio. It would be an overnight trip but at least you can examine and pick out your rifle at the store. As for stickies, I never had luck with my requests. Some do and some don't.
    Looking for SA bayonet 1045220

Comment

• Connecticut6
      Connecticut6 commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw that last night when I was looking. Unfortunately I don't often have a reason to be in Ohio. Yeah, it'd be a bit of a trip for me. I may be go the sticky route and hope for the best. Worst case, I end up with a fun shooter and add it to my collection and "have" to keeping looking for my WWII one. Never a bad day when getting a new gun.

Not to burst your bubble, but it takes YEARS of study to learn these rifles and what to look for. You can't learn enough with just a couple of evening sessions on the 'nets to make an educated guess. Best to find someone who knows them and take him with you. Barring that, get a service grade from the cmp, and then get a couple of good books and study what you have versus what it would have if it was factory correct. Remember this, ANY rifke can be made "correct", but they're only "original" once--that's the day they leave the arsenal.
    Good luck in your endeavors.
    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
      You can put a "sticky" on the order asking for a WWII serial number. They do honor such requests according to others.
      They "try" to honor requests but there is no gaurantee

Comment

They did honor my request for a Winchester but it was many years ago.

Comment

Putting a "stickey" on your order doesn't give you the years of education you ultimately need. You're just putting your trust and hope in some complete stranger and hoping that they know a little more about the subject than you do.
          Just sayin'.......
          Jon

Comment

I just 2 days ago went to the cmp in Anniston Alabama. One of the best decisions I ever have made. I saw tons of awesome rifles and got to look and admire al the history in that room. The armorers really are willing to help you find a ww2 rifle like what you want. I drove 5 hours and got exactly what I wanted and more!!

Comment

Not to disappoint but I've never had a sticky to CMP make any difference at all but, in a couple cases, I actually made out better. I once asked for a mid WWII Springfield and got a pre war 6 digit with a few original parts. Another time I ordered a receiver to build an M1 For Vets donation rifle with. Made a reasonable request on a sticky for something in good condition for that purpose. It was supposed to be a Grade B receiver and I got a heavily pitted, IMHO, Grade F with severe errosion on the barrel shoulder of the receiver. That one went straight back and I asked for an exchange for a FG Springfield I figured I could part out, build on the receiver and recoup selling left over good parts. LOL. When that arrived it was every bit a SG with almost all correct parts MW 2, TE 2.5 barrel, excellent finish with an almost pristine 3/8" DAS HRA stock on it. Three purchased parts and it was correct and I happened to have a correct (other than the stock) HRA with the correct Stock for the Springfield. Result? Two correct rifles.

Then, I ordered another receiver, called the friendly girl in sales at CMP and explained I needed a decent receiver for my project and not another reject. She told me to put an "Attention" note to her on the order and I got a receiver you could only describe as a Grade A. That finished rifle went to a recovered wounded Iraq Vet at the first Western Games that were held in AZ.

These days you "might" maje a sticky work. There's just not the volume of sales these days and given the right picker you might get lucky. Don't rely on it though.

Comment

Working...
              X