Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m1 i am considering getting

Hi everyone,
    I am looking to get a WW2 era M1. I just really like the idea of having a rifle that played such important role in WW2. It doesnt need to be all correct but Id like it to mostly be correct, at least the important parts.
    I found one online that looks good. Its from January 1944. I see that the stock looks a little worn which i want. It has the WW2 era safety which is good. but I did see it has the newer style sight on top.
    From some of what Ive read the sight having been changed is pretty common now.

is that true? Also is there any else I should look for? Thanks alot

Phil

The lockbar sights were usually replaced with the T105 sights during a rebuild.
    What are your plans for the rifle ? Wall hanger ? Shooter ? Occasional shooter?

As for the parts personally at a minimum I would want the lockbar sights, barrel date to be exact or within a few months of the receiver date, a WWII era stock even if it has rebuild stamps on it. I would not want a post war stock.

Comment

i want to be able to shoot it. I see that the serial number and bolt and the receiver are all the same time period. The only thing that was replaced later was the barrel and the trigger housing

Comment

Can you post a link to the rifle so we can see the pictures and get a better idea of its value ?

Comment

WW2 Springfield M1 Garand #2526930 | Midwest Military Collectibles (milcoll.com)

Comment

Looks like it was re-Parked during an arsenal rebuild, but I might be wrong. Feel free to correct me.

Comment

Its a 1965 rebuild. Should be a decent rifle

Comment

the barrel, sight and trigger are all newer. Am I correct that the serial number, receiver and bolt are 1944? I looked up there serial numbers

Comment

The bolt was used during the time period the receiver was made. The trigger guard and butt plate are also WW II.
                  The gas cylinder is also WW II but is a narrow base. What was originally on your rifle was a wide base gas cylinder ( it allowed for more front sight adjustment)
                  DO NOT REMOVE the SA mark from the receiver. Authentic arsenal rebuilt rifles are becoming more desirable
                  Last edited by jak; 01-19-2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

That is a dandy SA 1-65 arsenal rebuild rifle in excellent shape. Note that if you wanted an excellent shooter that would be the one. 65 SA barrels were the most accurate barrels ever installed during rebuild. Trying to correct the rifle would be a waste of good machinery and the waste of a rifle with so much potential accuracy wise.

If you are the one that bought that rifle for the sale price you did quite well these days especially for that quality.

I have an IHC rifle that was rebuilt in 11-65 by SA with an 11-65 SA barrel. I bought it privately, paid $1000 16 years ago. When I got it it still was coated with stinky aresenal oil applied during rebuild and had obviously only been proof fired. No wear on any parts, even bolt lugs. Other than the receiver and a couple of other parts it's mostly SA of varied vintage. It also has a narrow base cylinder on it. It has been my match rifle for 15 years and the best shooter of the 15 different Garands I've owned. It shoots better than one I built with a match quality Krieger barrel installed and all NIW parts.

Making that rifle correct will prove to be a lesson in futility and expense. Plus it has it's own history since it has probably always been in US inventory, WWII, KOREA and was rebuilt for use in Vietnam but probably never issued.

Comment

Working...
                    X