Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello and good morning to all. I am a brand new member who has started looking into a WWII M! Garand. Bought several books, Duff, Hatcher, Canfield... to get an idea where to start. I know you all are going to laugh at my next statement but I intend to buy only one Garand. I started a WWI and WWII pistol collection a couple years ago and that started only by wanting a Luger since childhood. I have a passion for Winchesters but a correct SA would be fine. It's interesting that there are so many M1's which are miss-matched or post war that are selling for "silly" money. I primarily look on GB or Legacy Collectibles but also Simpson Limited although they generally want top dollar.

Since I am no longer a spring chicken but one who has more years behind him than ahead, glad I found this website. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by etslen View Post
    Hello and good morning to all. I am a brand new member who has started looking into a WWII M! Garand. Bought several books, Duff, Hatcher, Canfield... to get an idea where to start. I know you all are going to laugh at my next statement but I intend to buy only one Garand. I started a WWI and WWII pistol collection a couple years ago and that started only by wanting a Luger since childhood. I have a passion for Winchesters but a correct SA would be fine. It's interesting that there are so many M1's which are miss-matched or post war that are selling for "silly" money. I primarily look on GB or Legacy Collectibles but also Simpson Limited although they generally want top dollar.

Since I am no longer a spring chicken but one who has more years behind him than ahead, glad I found this website. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Well the days of affordable M1 Garand, M1 Carbine or other WWll firearm collecting may be past. Every time I say to my wife that I can't believe what a shooter (non collector grade) rifle is going for a week later I see one going for more. Right now a new from the factory M1 Carbine is twice the cost of standard quality M4 clone and 25% more that a precision M4 clone. I've seen WWll shooters bring $3,000.

My only suggestion would be to read this forum and get an idea of what you'd be willing to pay for and how to identify it. There are 2 elements that upset the pot, the person willing to pay too much for a non collector grade and the number of sellers out there looking to take advantage of buyers.

Comment

I hear ya. Found what I believe is a correct M! WWII era SA but obviously don't know if it is "original" as left the factory or a "corrected" from parts not that I mind I guess. They are asking $3400 which BB says is what a 95% finish goes for. I would think it would be nearly impossible to find an "original" as left the factory considering how long they were in service. Not to have been rebuilt somewhere along the way seems remote. The other interesting thing I see is BB says a Winchester is worth less than a SA but the prices I see out there indicate that they are going for considerably higher than that. I am willing to pay for what I am looking for but not be fooled into paying too much.

Comment

Etslen, Welcome to the forum. WWII factory original garands are out there but few and far between. If you do find one it will be big $$$$$. Most likely the garand you are looking at has been "corrected" FYI, All my WWII garands have been "corrected". If you live near Anniston, AL or Port Clinton, OH you can visit the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) stores and look at the garands they have in stock. You can visit their website and look at their prices.

Comment

Thanks jak. I have been on CMP's site but not knowing a lot about what I am doing most of what I saw there were rebuilds which I am not really interested in. My idea of rebuild is not the correct stock and barrel after WWII. Correct me if I am wrong. I have looked at their "collector" grade site but see that those are few and far between.
          I am in south central Michigan so Ohio is a day trip.

Comment

Practically every garand has gone through a rebuild at some point. Another option for you is to find a WWII garand with the correct barrel for the s/n and then spend money to get all the "correct" parts and stock for the rifle and rebuild the rifle yourself. A WWII garand with correct barrel may be for sale at the North Store but you would have to look at every rifle to check the s/n against the barrel date. If you go that route I would suggest a 1944 or 1945 garand because the parts are somewhat easier to find than earlier years.
            Occasionaly the CMP auction site has a "collector type WWII garand".
            https://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail...WII-SA-3707644
            jak
            Staff Sergeant
            Last edited by jak; 12-29-2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Welcome in from SoCal!
              My perfect Garand journey would be an unissued one for collecting, but jak is right they are few and $$$$$ but I'm hoping someday I can get one. Good luck with your endeavor!
              m14brian

Comment

Well I went and did it and bought a 1943 Winchester. Now I need a sling and bayonet. If anyone has a sling, M1907 for sale please let me know. Same goes for a bayonet either an M1905 or M1.
                I posted this on the WTB forum as well. Thanks in advance

Comment

Congratulation on your purchase. Post some pictures when you get time.

Comment

Working...
                  X