See SPOT!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See SPOT!!

I wrote that looks like oil on the bolt before parkerizing. Why not rejected by inspector in 1941?

Comment

Originally posted by G43 View Post
      I wrote that looks like oil on the bolt before parkerizing. Why not rejected by inspector in 1941?
      Unless it happened during a re-Parkerize in a refurbish cycle.

Comment

No evidence of refurb
        has: front sight screw plug, blade gas plug, uncut rod, flush rear sight nuts, 4-41 barrel. All drawing numbers correct. I wish I could shoot like "Shifty" in Band of Brothers!!

Comment

original SA 1941 bolts will look like these in photos. Note bolt face and rear area of bolt lugs polished. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010022_0022.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	26628 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010023_0023.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	26629 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010024_0024.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	26630

Comment

Originally posted by G43 View Post
            No evidence of refurb
            has: front sight screw plug, blade gas plug, uncut rod, flush rear sight nuts, 4-41 barrel. All drawing numbers correct. I wish I could shoot like "Shifty" in Band of Brothers!!
            My fault for not being clear. That bolt could have been a refurb bolt that a previous owner put in as a replacement even though the rest is right or there was an issue with the original (which this might be) and they had the part reworked (might be just me, but the colour looks a tad darker than the receiver, but that could be considered normal). That, or the spot wasn't enough of an issue for rejection since it was otherwise fine. At any rate, that's pretty early! The earliest one we have is July/August 1942.

Comment

The bolt face is polished as are the lug faces. Anything is possible . Do not know where my father got it. Probably CMP

Comment

bolt lug does not appear polished but has normal finish wear from use. Cant tell about the bolt face

Comment

My Garand is July 1942 and the bolt number is drawing is Springfield armory, They May have had a design change in early 1942, hard to tell seen another bolt from 42 with a different number. Is that possible, the M-1 it’s on has a serial number in 1945. I might be reading this wrong. I need to look at the list again, I may be full of poop! These drawing numbers are kinda of confusing. None of the troopers in my area are very knowledgeable, like me, they just like to shoot at the range, most of them don’t give a hoot about the history. AJ

Comment

Working...
                  X