Unusual Cartouche 9/43

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual Cartouche 9/43

I'm looking at a Garand with an "S.A./H" cartouche (serial 1.899mil)and no canon wheel on the stock. It does have a Proof. The research I've done doesn't show "H". Would this be a Springfield factory rebuild or something? I need to invest in the "M-1 Garand 1936-1957" book but $200 seems pretty salty for a used paperback on Amazon.
    Thanks!

That is a $25 book at best. It can be ordered on line from North Cape Publications (www.northcapepubs.com). They're in So Cal in Orange County. I have known the authors personally (Poyer and Riesch) for 40 years. They're 2 of the straightest shooters (no pun intended) one could ever get to know.
    The stamp was probably originally SA/GHS but the G and S were removed during a rebuild.
    Jon
    Last edited by TJT; 12-05-2020, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Craig Reisch's book on the M1 Carbine is pretty good and fairly thorough, so this one is most likely the same. It's my "go-to" for Carbine info when my braindrive has access issues and I need to know something aboot them.

Comment

If possible please post close up photo cartouche.

Comment

This is the cartouche. I'm guessing it is a rebuild. I just can't find a description of the particular stamp. Jon, that's fascinating you know those authors.! Last week I went to North Cape Publications and to order the book, you had to click on the Amazon link. In doing so, at the time, the only options were between $160 and $220. I just now clicked the link and there is a used paperback for $65.00. I'll keep looking. Thanks guys!

Comment

Nice cartouche. The G and S were not sanded from the stock. The G and S were ground off the stamp. I read about that recently but couldn't tell you where.
            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by DNM262 View Post
              This is the cartouche. I'm guessing it is a rebuild. I just can't find a description of the particular stamp. Jon, that's fascinating you know those authors.! Last week I went to North Cape Publications and to order the book, you had to click on the Amazon link. In doing so, at the time, the only options were between $160 and $220. I just now clicked the link and there is a used paperback for $65.00. I'll keep looking. Thanks guys!

If you call North Cape they'll put you on a notification list and when the books are published again, they'll call you. They still charge less than 25 bucks/copy. At least they did 3 or 4 months ago.

Jon

Comment

Jon is correct, that was a SA/GHS stamp that hadthe G and S ground off. The SA/H is a inspection stamp from the massive rebuild period

Comment

Thanks all. I put in a request for the book from NCP. Interesting that they sanded off part of the cartouche during rebuilds!

Comment

The stock was not sanded. The STAMP had the letters ground off of it.
                    Jon

Comment

Working...
                    X