My First Garand (SA 1945)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Garand (SA 1945)

I recently turned 18 and two days after my birthday, I exercised my 2nd Amendment right and bought an M1 Garand after my dad notified me that there was one at the local gun shop. This particular rifle is a Springfield Armory and has a 3.6 million serial number, dating it to March 1945. I bought it exactly as you see in the photos. I've looked up the numbers of most of the internal components (thanks to USRIFLECAL30M1.com's terrific database) and they are all wartime production S.A. parts. This rifle is in absolutely beautiful shape. The stock is in excellent condition with the only damage being a few dings here and there (probably only about a dozen on the whole rifle). The stock is an original S.A. G.A.W stock, made from 9/1943-3/1945, right around the time this rifle was made. It's possible that it is the original stock to this rifle. The barrel is dated 4/45 and has amazing rifling. This rifle is in really nice shape and most likely never saw action. The stock has another stamp to the left of the cartouche that I believe to be a rebuild stamp. I though it was an Ogden Arsenal stamp, but the first letter looks more like a U than an O like it should be for Ogden. If anyone can help with that, I would appreciate it. I do believe this rifle was updated after the war, like the majority of M1s. For instance, it features the postwar type rear sights when, according to the serial number, it should technically have Type 3 lock bar sights (lock bars ended at SN 3.8 mil, while my rifle is a 3.6 mil). My theory is that this rifle was made in March/April 1945, too late in the war to see any action, leaving it in like new condition. After the war, they are rebuilding and updating Garands and it is this rifle's turn. They see that there's nothing wrong with it, besides the then obsolete lock bar sights, so they update the sights, stamp the stock to signify the the rifle was "rebuilt", and send it on its way. If anyone has anything to add, or another theory, I'd be more than happy to hear it. If you want any more pictures of have any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks for reading!
    ​​​​​
    Last edited by WWIIman1942; 11-30-2020, 10:23 PM.

I reached the 5 photo limit. Here's the 6th pic.

Comment

Excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by MRusan View Post
        Excellent.
        Thank you!

Comment

A very nice rifle! What are the markings on the op rod? Does the op rod have the relief cut?

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
            A very nice rifle! What are the markings on the op rod? Does the op rod have the relief cut?
            Thanks! The op rod is numbered D35382 9 SA. Made from 1/45 to 6/45. Its a flat side op rod and has no relief cut.

Comment

What is your serial number? I’ll send it over to the Springfield site to see if it was issued to a certain division. My M1 Carbine came back in a block that was sent to the OSS Souther Command in WWII. Cool info. If you don’t want to post the full number, message me and I will get what I can for you on your rifle.

Comment

Working...
              X