Op Rod Pitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Op Rod Pitting

Looking for recommendations on how to get rid of pitting on the op rod handle? It's just surface pitting and not really deep, but it is driving me nuts.

buy another op rod, they are relatively cheap

Comment

I would if it wasn't an early Winchester, that's the only reason I was asking. Everything is correct with the rifle except for the rear sight which was changed out at some point.

Comment

If it isn't too deep try sandblasting and reparking. Otherwise, the only other option will be to take a dab of JB weld and smear over the pitting. Sand to make smooth. Unfortunately, parkerizing won't refinish the JB weld so another finish like cerakote would be necessary in the correct color to match. But then again, cerakote on an early Winchester op rod probably wouldn't be good for the value. It's up to you.

Comment

sand or bead blasting/ refinishing only makes pitting show up more

Comment

Orlando, do you know of anyone that has a Winchester op rod for sale?

Comment

Just how bad is pitting? How about some pics?

Comment

It's like that the whole length and a little worse down to the piston. No rust or pitting anywhere else on the rifle, which leads me to believe it was swapped out at some point.

Comment

Yup,its ugly. Which WRA op rod you need? Also yu looking fir cut or uncut? Being WRA it is going to cost $$

Comment

• XC2RA
                    XC2RA commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Early slant cut without the post war relief notch if possible. Found one on Dupage for $400 but the description says miniscule pitting. Might end up having to settle for one with the relief until I'm able to find the correct one.

• MilCollector
                    MilCollector commented
                    Editing a comment
                    WRT comment above: There are lots of uncut slant WRA op rods out there. The cost is not extortionate.. Keep your eyes open on the various auction sites and forums.

Best of luck.
                Working...
                X