Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with my 1944 Springfield

Hi all,

Long time milsurp collector, but first time posting here! The M1 Garand is particularly difficult to find information on, so I’m hoping some of you can help identify some of the parts on mine - and which parts would be considered “correct” for this rifle. It’s important to note that I’m from Canada where finding parts would be an impossible endeavour, so this rifle will be staying as is - the same as how I received it

Receiver (top)
    U.S. RIFLE
    CAL. .30M1
    SPRINGFIELD
    ARMORY

Receiver (side)
    A 1 8
    D 28291-35

Barrel
    3-S-A-4-44

Bolt
    D28287-19SA
    O-15

Follower Assembly

Hammer
    C46008-7 SA

Operating Rod
    35382 9 SA (Prefix D is missing)
    *This looks to have been modified or “cut”

Safety
    SA-11 or _11 ?

Walnut Stock
    Side: S.A. G.A.W. and Crossed Cannons
    Under buttplate: 9 (top), 6 P (bottom)
    Bottom grip: Circle P and P

Trigger Housing
    D28290-14-SA

I realize it’s impossible to know which parts (if any) are “original”, but I’m hoping to learn which ones are at least “correct”, as well as any other interesting information you might have on this rifle. Thanks in advance! And now the pictures:

Cheers!
    Tyler

Pretty rifle! All the information I’m giving you comes out of Scott Duff’s WWII M1 Garand book. The others on this forum are far more educated on M1s than I am, so I defer to them. They’re going to have the best information, but I can give you some basics. Your serial number dates the receiver at December 1944. Of course, barrel is stamped April ‘44. The bolt shows that it started manufacture in mid-April ‘44, but Duff says use of them began in late spring ‘45. The O-15 is its heat treat number. The follower assembly 12 was used from roughly serial number 2,100,000 to 3,600,000. That hammer was used from about July ‘44 through early ‘45. The op rod was used from 2,200,000 to 3,400,000. The uncut op rods tended to crack after extended use, so they came up with a “relief cut” version later. Many that were manufactured prior to the change were cut after the fact Since your “D” is missing, that’s most likely the case here. Safety SA-11 was used from 1,800,000 through the end of the war. That trigger housing was used about late-summer ‘44 through very early ‘45. Your GAW cartouche was used from about 1,800,000 to 3,300,000. The Circle “P” is the original proof stamp.

Talking about the stock (and not taken from Duff’s book): The other “P” could indicate an overhaul proof mark. Though, usually I see it with the “P” inside a box for overhaul. I don’t know if it means anything that it’s not in a box. It could have just been proof fired more than once (they were supposed to be marked each time they were proof fired).

Then I’ve read before from other sources that it’s normal to have letters, numbers, and half-circles under the butt stock for WWII stocks from SA, but I don’t know what they mean.
    Last edited by LoyalHistorian; 07-22-2020, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that extensive reply, LoyalHistorian. I find it strange how every source has different manufacture dates and serial number ranges. It makes it difficult to confirm parts and whether they are correct for my rifle. I’ve started compiling a list for each part I have and what each source says it’s range should be. It’s starting to paint a brighter picture, with some grey areas.

Comment

No problem! Yeah, it's not an exact science, that's for sure. SA's build up of parts meant that they weren't always used immediately and could be used in rifles several months later. Everything you've listed seems to fall into roughly the same production period. Your barrel versus recevier is a bit of a gap...doesn't mean it wasn't originally put together that way though. I've generally read that they're usually only three or four months apart. But again, I'm no expert. I'm curious to see what the others say about everything. Plus, there's other parts not listed or closely photoed that can generally be dated too if you're really wanting to research, like the windage knob and lock bar, butt plate, follower rod, the gas cylinder lock screw, trigger guard, etc. Heck, even the bands changed a few times. It can be really neat to get into the details. I like that kind of stuff. The first two pictures do look like you have a stamped trigger guard, which wasn't produced until spring '44, so that fits for yours too.

Comment

Okay thanks again, I’ll have to take pictures of the follower rod next time I disassemble it. Here’s the rest of the parts you mentioned though:

Comment

Your rifle is pretty much correct for the time period. If the stock is original to the rifle, then it did go through a rebuild at some point. Was the op rod modified and barrel replaced during a rebuild...probably.

Comment

That's what I was thinking on the overhaul...at least the op rod, since it looks like it was cut from an unmodified one. Then I know that sometimes they'd replace the barrels with still-good WWII barrels if the original one was worn out. Either way, all the pieces are correct for the time period. It looks like a really nice piece.

Comment

Originally posted by LoyalHistorian View Post
                ......all the pieces are correct for the time period.
                NOPE. The "cut" op rod makes it not correct. Sorry to burst your bubble.
                Jon

Comment

Tyler,
                  Is the locking tab on the trigger guard just stamped and bent, or is it stamped and mill cut? Another huge difference, just like the -11 or _11 safety.
                  Jon

Comment

My apologies, Jon. I'm definitely defering to you. I could have sworn I read that at some point toward the end of the war SA was cutting some of the unaltered op rods and using them in their Garands. I do realize that the cut op rods made that way on purpose were post-war, but since his had the "D" cut off of his from the cut notch, I thought that might have been an unmodified one that had been modified at the armory. Sorry about that...still learning.

Comment

Man, I'm glad for and appreciate all of the regular guys that know all of these details. There are so many things to have to know about M1s with all the variations and correct parts for manufacturer and year and such. Thank you to all you guys.
                      m14brian

Comment

Hi Jon,

I’m not sure what you mean about the locking tab on the trigger guard, what am I looking for here exactly?

What is the difference between -11 and _11 safety? I can’t find anything about _11 anywhere online, and so far nobody has been able to explain it to me.

For the op rod, what LoyalHistorian said made a lot of sense - that it was originally an uncut rod but had the relief cut later in life (during refurb, overhaul, or otherwise) and losing the D prefix at that time. Are you thinking this op rod was manufactured as is from the start? Why would it share the same drawing number as the earlier uncut version?

Thanks in advance,
                        Tyler

Comment

No Tyler,
                          I don't think it [op rod] was made that way, never said it was.
                          Jon

Comment

Well apologies, but I’m not sure what you're saying then. I’m just trying to learn.

Comment

I would go with Jon, jak, and M14brian on their knowledge. I'm still learning. Like I said, defer to them. We know for sure it went through some sort of rebuild because of the extra "P" proof stamp on the stock. So, like jak said, it was most likely the op rod and barrel that had been replaced during that rebuild, even if it used period-correct pieces in the rebuild like a barrel from 4-44. No matter what, it's a beautiful rifle to add to your collection. I think anyone would be proud to have a piece like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X