Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! I'm buying a WWII Garand...Which would you choose??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! I'm buying a WWII Garand...Which would you choose??

I have been a militaria collector since I was a little girl, focusing mainly on WWII. One of my dream items to add to my collection is, of course, a WWII M1 Garand. This is something I have been wanting for 20 years. I'm now at a point in my life that I can drop that kind of money down on the rifle. My husband and I are both teachers, so spending about $2500 is not a light matter, and I want to be sure I'm getting a rifle worth my money.

I am looking to buy a WWII M1 Garand, as close to original WWII straight-from-armory correct-grade condition as possible, no post-war parts, modifications, or rebuilds. It's also important to me as a collector that the weapon actually could have been there during WWII, so not late-manufacture 1945 M1s. I've done a lot of research over the years, and I've got Scott Duff's WWII M1 Garand book that I've been using, as well as Bruce Canfield's Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine.

Both of the rifles I am looking at seem to check most of those boxes, though they both have modified cut op rods, so I know they were either cut during WWII or post-war. Otherwise, I think both of these rifles fit the bill.

But, I want YOUR opinions! I know all y'all have more education in M1s than I do, so I'm going to the professionals, so-to-speak, for advice. Do these two M1s pass muster? Which of these M1s would you buy if you were looking to buy? Or would you not buy either, and wait for something better?

My main concern about the 1942 M1 is that some of the internal parts look like the original finish is gone or cleaned off, compared to the 1943 M1. What do y'all think?

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/869403020

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/872407610

Please help, and thank you very much in advance!

Here is another option.....……..https://www.m1garandforum.com/forums...-documentation
    Welcome to the forum
    Last edited by Orlando; 07-02-2020, 07:51 PM.

Comment

I do remember seeing this one on Guns International, I believe, but it had been more expensive at the time. I admit that I have gone back to it a few times and considered it, since it is correct grade and has the Scott Duff documentation. That was a big draw. But, I was spooked by the fact it said "restored" and I didn't know what that entailed...I was afraid that meant something might have been refinished or changed from its original WWII era parts. The last thing was, though I do have the money up-front, my husband and I were hoping to do layaway so that we didn't have to dump that much money all at one time. The other two listings on GunBroker mentioned doing 50% down when purchased then 60 days layaway. We're just cautious people that are afraid to put ourselves in a financial bind if an emergency came up.

Is this your M1 being sold? If so, can you tell me a little bit more about it and what it meant by restored?

Comment

The ones on GB say “collector” in the title of the auctions. I think that may be a little bit of a stretch in the opinion of the more experienced M1 collectors that lurk on the forum. I do think they are decent rifles, but they appear to be put together/restored rifles to me and I have suspicions as to the authenticity of the stock markings. Of the three mentioned above, I think Orlando’s rifle is properly advertised. It too is a nice rifle.
        If a known history is important to you, I would also consider waiting for an authentic lend lease rifle to pop up. I would ask before I bid to get opinions and it will likely cost 3k plus, but it may be worth the wait and extra money to you.
        Good luck in your chase.

Comment

Thank you, Kevin H. I really appreciate your input! Funny that you mention that, I had been eyeing a Lend Lease rifle about a year ago on Empire Arms, just over $3000 if I remember correctly. Didn't have the funds at the time, and it was gone by the beginning of this year when I could have bought it. It looked like a really nice piece. Thanks again!

Comment

The rifles on Gunbroker are not all correct, I see a couple flaws
            If you want a documented never messed with original WWII rifle you will be spending a lot more than your budget allows
            Yes the rifle I posted a link of is mine. It is all original finish all correct parts as the day it was manufactured.Are all the parts on it the same as when manufactured? No
            Scott Duff corrected /restored the rifle. Some parts were not correct so he installed them. Which pasrt? I don't know, Im not the original owner. Yes I lowered the price as I am ready to move it. PM me if interested

Comment

If you read the description of the gunbroker rifles he states the parts are correct for the year of the rifle...not original. IMO, You would be paying a minimum of 4X the value of the gunbroker rifles for an all original WWII fresh from the armory garand, if you find one that is available. Orlando is a well respected member of this and other forums. His rifle is a good deal.

Last edited by jak; 07-03-2020, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Thank you both for the information, I appreciate it! Yeah, a correct-grade is what I am looking for. Sure, a never-changed-before Garand would be awesome, but I know I can't afford that. I was just looking for what y'all are describing, that all the parts are correct for the year that the rifle was manufactured and not using post-war parts. Thank you all very much!

Yes, sir, Orlando. I really am interested. I will PM you now.

Comment

Originally posted by jak View Post
                  If you read the description of the gunbroker rifles he states the parts are correct for the year of the rifle...
                  not all parts are correct for those rifles......look closely

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando View Post

not all parts are correct for those rifles......look closely
                    Ok, please correct if I am wrong. S/n 797627, lockbar is wrong (is it a repo?) elevation knob not checkered, lower band is not arched, postwar buttplate, no front sight screw cap.
                    s/n 1457247 repo buttplate, repo lockbar sight, flat lower band,

Comment

Those rifles are not even in the same league of Orlando’s rifle. They have been restored and some of the parts are reproduction as well as wrong for rifle they are on. Good luck with your search. If you are looking for an early rifle a lend lease as mentioned previously is a good option.

Comment

797627 should have short pinion type I rear sight. Its a long pinion with I don't knw what for the locking bar,must be reproduction. Good eye jak, anything else raise red flag?

Comment

Something very obvious 1457247 op piston is below spec. I really hate the pitting on the op rod too.
                          I am far from an expert on cartouches, but I am suspicious of them. Rick B is the expert.
                          What did I miss ?

Comment

I would expect a beveled clip latch on both stocks but they are not shown. I’m not a fan of the wood either but Rick would be the guy to ask. I also believe the gas lock screw on the 42 is a repo. As was mentioned earlier to be complete I believe both rifles should have sight seals. Just an opinion.

Comment

Couple other things, look at both stock cartouche, also the 1942 should have round clip latch,then look at the small ordnance wheel on bottom of grip on 1943 rifle.
                              Im probably missing something else
                              Last edited by Orlando; 07-04-2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X