G.J. NOVAK's rife stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G.J. NOVAK's rife stock

It is an early SA SPG stock, still with a faint drawing number next to the B-1 rack number. Also a large RA-P
    on top of the pistol grip. Novak did a nice job of carving his name on this stock plus his girlfriends name too.
    This stock has seen some service.

Wow!!
    I've never seen that one before.....is that a burn mark on the butt? Also, any chance of some photos of the whole thing?
    Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

I wonder where that gentleman is today. I bet he'd love to see that, if he is still around.
      m14brian

Comment

This ^^^^ is what makes collecting these rifles so cool. Thanks for sharing RCS!

Comment

A little research in the AAD archives online shows a George J. Novak who enlisted at Ft. Mead, Maryland on April 14, 1944. His terms of enlistment were pretty standard, Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law He was born in Pennsylvania in 1918 so he would have been
          26 at the time of his enlistment. He was married at the time of his enlistment, possibly explaining the name on the other side of the stock. He was listed as having a grammer school education.
          I show him being listed as a private with no indication of promotion during his military career. His Army serial number was 33883870 . I'll see if I can get any more info on this gentleman,
          it seems somewhat likely that he was the individual who inscribed his name on that rifle. More as I can find it.
          -Bruce
          Bruce Herrmann
          "Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."
          Mark Twain

Comment

Thank you for your time and effort in tracing down the "Kovak" stock. About five or six years ago, both a friend any myself also did a lot of checking, there were a lot of George Kovak's in WW2.

The stock was among what I would believe to be all US Army stocks and from the Wisconsin barn wood, I got this stock in the late 1980's. The might have been through rebuild
            twice but difficult to say for certain. Also the stock may well have been on a early gas port conversion receiver but again just speculation but doubt this stock was on a new
            production rifle.

I did check the George J. Kovak's with US Army data but there were some US Navy Kovak's too. The key, as far as I am concerned is to find both George J. Kovak and Mary Ann Kovak

Comment

I searched every record base I could find and only ran across one George J Novak, as you said there are several Novaks, but I could only find the one G.J. Novak. I'll see if I can find
              something on Mary Ann as well. My father was at Ft. Mead from 1944-1947 so I found that an interesting tie-in as well.
              Last edited by Bulletguide; 09-04-2015, 01:47 PM.
              Bruce Herrmann
              "Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."
              Mark Twain

Comment

Not a relative, but I can add a little more to this soldier's story. George J Novak was born on 22 May 1908 in Swoyerville, Luzcerne County, Pennsylvania, USA.

He served in the US Army from his enlistment at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland in 14 April 1944 until his discharge in 8 November 1945 at Seymour Johnson Field, North Carolina, USA.

He resided with his wife Mary A. in West Pittston, Luzcerne County, Pennsylvania and died on 22 October 1991.

Comment

Thank you for the additional information, still not certain if George J. Novak was born in 1908 or 1918 ?

I do think this is the G.J. NOVAK and MARY ANN carved on the modified SA SPG stock

Thanks to all that have helped provide some information, Robert

Comment

Working...
                  X