Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISO M1 Garand Winchester October 1941 stock

I Believe im looking for a stock stamped with double box "WRA" "WB" stock

RARE BIRD. Ask Rick B. over on CMP forum.

Comment

here is an original WRA WB double box cartouche, more fakes around than originals. October 1941 is not the correct month for this cartouche Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn2802.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	2.98 MB
ID:	23813

Comment

post your serial number, as you might need a WRA WB no trap stock

Comment

• Nykgrif
          Nykgrif commented
          Editing a comment
          I have serial number 124310

Not to hijack this thread but am wondering about a Sept 41 WRA, serial 121989. I have a no trap stock w/o any marking. Duff's data sheet book shows 123666 with the double box WB. I have seen Rick B's stock, not many of these are around.

Comment

WRA serial number 123666 was a restoration by Matt Wright (Calif) and sold to a collector in the St Louis area around 1989 for 2K. Later sold a few times and ended up in the Canfield collection where it sold not long ago for 11K. The auction site showed the deep anneal color which Duff did not reveal in his WW2 book. Production was halted at Winchester between June 25th until July 8th 1941, it is believed that the WRA WB double box cartouche was introduced on production rifle at around serial number 11429. The WRA WB double box cartouched stock had some changes that were different from the WRA RS stock which included the pistol grip profile and trigger guard recess

Comment

So would 121989 have had the regular WB? I know the double box wasn't used for very long. I found a picture of the double box stock on a rifle in Duff's WWII book, the credit under the photo shows Irle Otte collection. Don't know if he is the collector you were referring to in St Louis or not. I met him many years ago at some shows there when I lived in St Louis. I remember he had some fantastic Garands. The picture in the book is black and white and doesn't show any annealing. I am just wondering if there is any way to pin down about when these were used?
            Last edited by Nodak71; 05-14-2020, 05:36 PM. Reason: Add Info

Comment

Your WRA 121989 would have a WRA WB no trap stock. Irl Otte and Martin Floyd were friends of mine, Irl had purchased 123666 and later sold it. Irl also purchased a sporterized gas trap rifle from California serial number 42684. He then restored it but some of the parts were too early but accurate data during these years was not always available. He sold it in 1997 and it has been restored again. Irl Otte has since passed away
              Last edited by RCS; 05-15-2020, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Ok thanks so much, here I have been thinking I needed the double box WB no trap. I have a WRA no trap without any marking except the serf circle P. It is really ROUGH, I know Rick B has a double box but lots of money of course for something that rare. I was in the process of sending the rough no trap to Rick to see if he can make it look a little better. When you said in your earlier post that the double box replaced the RS maybe a little earlier than originally thought I wondered if this one would have had the single box WB. I knew Mr Otte had passed away, think I saw that some years back in the GCA Journal. Nice guy and had a fantastic collection. I think with these early rare "original" rifles sometimes they may not be all original having had restoration done years earlier using data that has been since found to be erroneous. Thanks for the info.
                Last edited by Nodak71; 05-14-2020, 07:42 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

It was known that Pete Michaels sold a few hundred stocks to Matt Wright shipped by air to California. These stocks came from the Wisconsin Barn Wood and the WRA double box WB stock could easily have among this wood. When Wright sold 123666 the stock could have been from the barn wood, not many WRA double box WB stock have ever surfaced, they are quite rare.

You can take a photo of a rifle with the right light and not show the anneal color, I have done it, if you check the Rock Island auction on Canfield's WRA 123666 you will see the anneal color in the photos that are from the rifle. I have WRA 128631 and it is without the anneal color. You need a WRA WB no trap stock, how much you spend would depend on how original your Winchester looks.

Photo show the gas trap front from Irl Otte's gas trap rifle, the ears were cut off, a complete original gas trap front sight should be worth around 2K. Back in those days collectors restored gas trap rifles with hard to find original parts because that is all there was to use. Irl Otte's friend Marty Floyd was restoring gas trap s/n 6927 with an original barrel but later for his receiver and only needed a few parts Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010056_0043.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	23826Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010057_0048.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	23827

Comment

I had heard of the large number of stocks from the barn going to California and probably being used in restorations. I am going to look into possibly finding a decent WB no trap stock to replace the one I have that has no stamp. This rifle shows a good amount of use but isn't in too bad shape. Will see what turns up. Interesting photos of the gas trap front sights that were cut off. That seems to have happened fairly often years ago. About 25 years ago I bought a LL SA rifle from Aug. 41 that was totally original or it appears to be but the ears on the front sight with the seal had been cut off. I have an early Inland Carbine that was claimed to be returned from North Africa with a badly injured soldier's personal gear. No real proof other than a letter documenting the people involved, but the letter was from the seller who got it from the deceased vet's family. W/O going into a bunch of detail I found things in the carbine and the accessories that tended to support that. This carbine also had the ears cut off the front sight. I guess some of the older shooters didn't like the guards on the front sight. Again, thanks for your time and knowledge. Apologies to to the OP for hijacking his thread.

Comment

Do you have any photos of your Winchester that needs the WRA WB stock ?

The stocks that were sent to California were not all that nice.

I have seen carbine peep sights that had the top of the peep cut off

Comment

• Nykgrif
                        Nykgrif commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Which Stock Do I Need with my serial number?

I don't have any pictures of that rifle at the moment, I may have had a picture of it in my display at the GCA convention at Cody in 2013 but can't find it. Had a computer crash and it appears I never got all my pictures back. The rifle is back in the safe less the stock, the stock is on the way to Rick at the moment. I will have to dig for it as I have way more in the safe than it was designed of.

Comment

Working...
                      X