Nickel Vs Plastic Oil Bottle for Buttstock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nickel Vs Plastic Oil Bottle for Buttstock

Does anyone know a date for the change of Nickel to plastic oilers?

Thanks!

Scott

If memory serves me still, I think the transition was late '42-early '43--about the same time the claws on the slings were changed from brass to steel.
    Jon

Comment

I have two BOYT 42 dated slings, one with brass and one with steel hooks.

I would guess after the Korean War the oilers were all plastic, the slings were are web and the gas lock screws were for rifle grenades. Interesting that the lock bar was never replaced Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn2876.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	23418Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010033_0027_027.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	23419

Comment

The oilers were plastic by the end of WWII. The BIG question is: "when was the transition from nickled brass to plastic?"
        Jon

Comment

There is a discussion about this subject now on the CMP forum under M1 rifle section. They say contracts were issued in 1943 and 1944 for the plastic but unknown about general issue during WW2 but some must have been issued during the last part of WW2

Comment

I know I started the topic haha😁And they did change the Lockbars mate, to the T105 sight.

Scott

Comment

Yes, the T105 was approved in late WWII BUT, they didn't start showing up on the rifles until some time around '47. Too late for WWII.
              Jon

Comment

Working...
              X