Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1941 SA on the way

Hello,

First post. I just bid on and won an auction for a 1945 SA Garand (https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/lo...-mfg-1945-wwii). Description and photo's looked good (except serial number shows it being an October 1941 on the FA website), so I rolled the dice and am hoping when it arrives I end up with a nice shooter. Looks like the rear sight, barrel and likely the bolt have been replaced, but won't be sure about anything else until it arrives.

This is my second Garand. I have an August 1943 Winchester that I acquired about 10 years ago that came with a trashed stock, so it was recently replaced with a java laminate from Dupage. This one is a shooter and the Springfield on the way has my excitement level about owning another Garand racing again. Here's the Winchester (in deck camo)...

Anyway, just wanted to share and I'm sure I be reading quite a bit here to research what to inspect and look out for before I take this one to the range.

Merry Christmas to you all,

Mike
    Last edited by Stump Buster; 12-23-2019, 10:07 PM.

After a little more research tonight, it looks like it's definitely a 1941 era Garand. May send it off to DGR for an inspection and re-finish.

Moderators, if you could edit the title to "1941 SA on the way", that would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

That's a pretty stock on the one pictured...Congrats on getting your 2nd one, Merry Christmas!
      m14brian

Comment

Congrats on the new '41; a pre Pearl Harbor rifle is on my wish list for sure. The Dupage Java Laminate is also on my wish list....looks great on your complete rifle. I'm thinking of using it on a 7.62 Navy barreled receiver (IHC) i recently got from the CMP. Did you need to do much fitting? Have you done any staining or finishing work on yours?

I'm thinking just the usual BLO would be as good as anything. Enjoy your rifles!

Comment

Thanks gm!

I had to sand the rear of the front handguard in order for it to fit the lower band, but other than that, no other fitting or refinishing required. The laminates definitely add weight, but they look and feel really nice and the extra weight soaks up what little recoil these rifles dish out. Congrat's on your 7.62... looking forward to your pictures!
          Last edited by Stump Buster; 12-28-2019, 12:19 PM.

Comment

The Garand arrived today and overall the condition is REALLY nice! The rifling in the barrel looks crisp, the parkerizing looks decent overall, all of the cartouches are still visible and from what I can tell, the entire rifle is made up of SA parts. It may have been a project build because the rear sight was reasembled incorrectly and the action/trigger group isn't super tight to the stock, but if it shoots up to the rest of its overall condition, I'll be pleased! I'll post pictures once it get's paroled from CA gun jail and you guys can fill me in on what I have and what I need to watch/look for (if anything).

Comment

Originally posted by Stump Buster View Post
              The Garand arrived today and overall the condition is REALLY nice! The rifling in the barrel looks crisp, the parkerizing looks decent overall, all of the cartouches are still visible and from what I can tell, the entire rifle is made up of SA parts. It may have been a project build because the rear sight was reasembled incorrectly and the action/trigger group isn't super tight to the stock, but if it shoots up to the rest of its overall condition, I'll be pleased! I'll post pictures once it get's paroled from CA gun jail and you guys can fill me in on what I have and what I need to watch/look for (if anything).

Great to hear, congrats! Way to ring (or ping) in the new year. Looking forward to the pix!
              Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Working...
              X