Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Danger in a lead heel?

Hey everyone,
    I just purchased my first Garand off of gunbroker, it's a lead heeled gun circa November 1942. I am very excited and trying to learn as much information as possible while I wait for it to roll into my FFL. I had a question that I have searched for here and other places but haven't found an answer. Apologies if this has been answered before and I just didn't see it. From what I have learned several receivers were dipped in molten lead during the construction process to slow the cooling process vs letting them cool in the open air to provide a stronger receiver. I know these are lead dipped and not lead coated but I was curious if there was any safety concerns with possible lead poisoning from handling these guns. I am definitely not a metals expert and didn't know if any lead would remain on the gun after this process was complete. I know that no matter how much you love your Garand you probably shouldn't lick the receiver but I was wondering about the dangers of accidentally touching the lead dipped heel and then rubbing an eye or other sensitive areas.

They were dipped in the lead to anneal the heels of some improperly heat-treated receivers that were brittle. It was to keep the heels from cracking under use. They're absolutely safe to handle.
    Jon

Comment

Good to know, thanks Jon!

Comment

They also look great when refinished,I love the contrast.

Comment

Working...
        X