Looking for help with 1943 stock mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for help with 1943 stock mark

I just received a CMP 1943 made M1 but the stock only has one mark under the pistol grip the letter A nothing else. I've looked at many of the online sources but came up empty. Any help?

A 1943 M1 rifle stock would have a SA over EMcF cartouched stock and either a large or small (most are small) crossed cannon stamp. The proof P stamp is serifed and in a circle on the pistol grip. In the later half of 1943, the small crossed cannon stamp is found on the flat of the pistol grip. Around the first half of 1943 the clip latch slot was curved and then went to the flat bottom ‚Äč

Comment

RCS thanks for the info, I looked and only the letter A is on the stock

Comment

Generic USGI replacement stock, not original to the rifle.
        Jon

Comment

Thanks Jon

Comment

Would love to find a 1943 McFarland cartouche stock to go with my otherwise excellent Springfield. Any thoughts? It has nice unmarked walnut stock.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeQ View Post
              I just received a CMP 1943 made M1 but the stock only has one mark under the pistol grip the letter A nothing else. I've looked at many of the online sources but came up empty. Any help?
              As I remember the "A" is for one of the USMC rebuild centers. Not sure anyone knows for sure. The stock on your rifle probably is not original to it anyway .

Comment

The clip latch cut on the early '43's was called a "scoop" cut. It is angled, not curved, per se. Later it went to the straight "plunge" cut. My 9-42 SA/EMcF has the "scoop" cut.
                Jon

Comment

Originally posted by JoeQ View Post
                  Perhaps some Pictures would be nice

Comment

A nice SA EMcF stock just sold on the CMP forum for $600.00

Comment

Replacement arsenal rebuild stock and a Greek return. Or a Greek replacement stock. They are the ones who stamped letters on pistol grip bottoms. Pulled from the stock pile at CMP to replace an unserviceable or missing stock.

Comment

Working...
                      X