Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions, please on 3.65M SA w/7-45 barrel & SHM stamp and ord wheel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions, please on 3.65M SA w/7-45 barrel & SHM stamp and ord wheel.

Folks: I have been on the look out for a fresh, "unmolested" SHM rebuild M1. A near pristine (IHMO) example came up on the CMP auction site a month or so ago and I was fortunate to overpay and win it. This rifle is in almost perfect condition, and clearly has spent it's life in a rifle rack or case until "discovered" by the CMP late in 2017. I assume it came from the last USGI sourced batch of rifles received by the CMP back in 2017.

That being said, it is Apr 1945, 3.65M receiver, with all parts original and consistent with receiver. The only exceptions are the barrel (a 7-45 in the white, no chrome gas port) and the SHM stock.

My first thought was why a April 1945 rifle would be subject to rebuild just months later?......So I've come up with a somewhat seat of the pants, uneducated theory on this rifles story:

One possibility is that this rifle started life on a April 1945 assembly line and works it way all the way to the proof testing...which it passed. It then went on to final test fire/funtion check and somehow failed, hence no Ordnance Wheel acceptance stamp. The rifle was then possibly set aside for rework sometime down the road. I would guess that later in 1945, during the SHM era, the rifle was reworked by changing the barrel to the 7-45 . It then went through proof testing, passing that and earning the 2nd circled P. It finished with a successful completetion of the test fire/function tests and earned the Ordnance stamp next to the SHM. I should note that there is an extremely faint partial ghost stamp to the left of the SHM; About 1/8" of the top of a SA over ??? stamp is barely visible under magnification and good light. There is no hint of a prior Ordnance Wheel at all.
    Anyway....thought/opinions? A few photo's follow....

The few original SA SHM stocks that I have checked or owned had the SA over SHM about 13 inches from the end of the butt stock and a single circled serifed P stamp. I believe your SA SHM stock has been rebuilt and the original cartouche removed and then the SA SHM stamped. Some claim that a few rifles produced in mid 1945 used the original SA SHM cartouche ?

Comment

To me it looks like the original cartouche was sanded off and the SHM applied later.

Comment

The wheel stamp looks suspect to me. The barrels don't look quite right.
        Jon

Comment

I was just scratching my head over why an April 45 rifle would need to be rebuilt; everything on it appears original and in near unissued condition, with the exception of the presumed to be a replacement 7-45 barrel? Just curious......

Comment

The rifles were not assembled in numerical order. Every thing was stockpiled. The assemblers were brought bins of parts for assembly.. It was a "first in, last out" process. Some times parts were held in storage in case of shortages or stoppages. It's a known fact that receivers were often held in reserve in case of material shortages. I think you're stressing over a non-issue. I'd be more concerned about the stamps on your stock rather than the receiver and barrel dates.
            Jon

Comment

Working...
            X