Lend Lease Garand marking questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lend Lease Garand marking questions

Looking for a little help on a couple stamps on my Lend Lease Garand barrel. One looks like an upside down K near the Birmingham crossed lances and the other an upside down J over the 30-06 stamp. Also, the Circle P proof mark is just behind the trigger guard and I normally see them farther down the grip. Is there any significance to that placement? Thanks in advance!

Normal location for the serif P in circle proof - was the stock refinished ?

I believe the J indicates 1958

Comment

• RCS
      RCS commented
      Editing a comment
      Normal location for the p proof on a late 1941 Lend Lease rifle

Thanks. I believe the stock was refinished as there are no other cartouches in the normal locations and it has a very smooth finish. I have read that since the Brits painted these rifles with a red stripe near the handguard with "30-06" to warn the user of the non-British caliber, the stocks were often refinished when they returned to the states and were sold to the general public. Sometimes remnants of the red paint can be found under the handguards but no such luck in this case.

Comment

I have seen quite a few Lend Lease rifles, most had the red paint removed by the owner. The dealers did not waste time or money to refinish the Lend lease stocks, if anything, they needed some linseed oil. Years ago, regular issue rifle rifles from the same time period as the first 38K Lend Lease rifles, were considered more desirable (and still are in advanced collections) than the Lend lease rifles. Lend Lease rifles often became donor rifles with their key parts being used on non Lend lease restorations

Comment

I have a small "one each" collection of WW2 infantry firearms but don't consider myself to be a "collector" as most in this forum might use the term. I love the history and enjoy shooting them from time to time, especially in competition against others of the same type and configuration. I was drawn to the Lend Lease because of the history and after taking it apart it sure appears that all the parts that can be identified are correct for its March 1942 time of manufacture. It was a bonus that it gauged out to show very little wear, somewhat confirming what I read about most of these going into storage after they got to England due to the diminished likelihood of German invasion. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of the discussion at the War Department where some (presumably politicians and State Department personnel) were arguing to send the Garands and the military personnel arguing to send them to American field units, many of which were still using the 1903.

Comment

Gen MacArthur wanted more M1 rifles for the Philippines but Churchill got them

Comment

My late father was in the 503rd PIR in the SWPA and had an M1 rifle. Late in the conflict he actually was one of the few who wound up with a T26. Dad passed in '79 and the only thing I remember him saying about it was that it was a standard M1 with an 18 inch barrel. I wish I would've know all the questions to ask while he was still alive.
            Jon

Comment

On your March 1942 Lend Lease rifle, do you have the Type 1 lock bar or flush nut ?

Photo of rebuild SA with SA 10-41 bbl and Type 1 lock bar for reference
              Attached Files

Comment

Flush nut.

Comment

You have the late "flat face" flush nut which is correct for your rifle

Comment

Working...
                  X