Springfield Questions and Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Springfield Questions and Pictures

I have a Springfield Garand that I was curious if anyone could help me with. It has no cartouches but is in "new" condition. I also cannot find a barrel date. I picked this up at an auction.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rshooter; 04-01-2019, 01:53 PM.

That's defiantly new stock wood.

Comment

Pull the op rod back and look for the date there. If you already did it may be a Marlin barrel or after market commercial barrel possibly a Wilson. Better be certain it's a 30-06 and not a 308 barrel. Receiver is definately refinished and the stock a commercial replacement. Looks nice and virtually all available commercial barrels are pretty good shooters.

Comment

Commercially refinished and new commercial stock. As suggested look on side of barrel behind op rod for barrel date

Comment

Unlikely, but it's possible the barrel date may be clocked around some and is only visible if you remove the stock. There was a recent thread about this.

Comment

Garand barrels can't possibly get "clocked around" so the barrel date is not visable. It's mechanically impossible. It could, however, be on top under the rear handguard though I've never heard of such a thing in either a commercial or USGI barrel especially USGI. The drawing number but not the date. Perhaps on some odd ball or foriegn barrel. Never say never LOL.

Comment

• 54ball
              54ball commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry "clocked" was the wrong term. There was a recent or posting about a fellow on here buying a '43 at a gunshow and the barrel mark was not visible until the stock was removed.I have no personal knowledge of this rifle and no photo was posted.

Thanks for all of the information. I will break her down and see what I can find out.

Comment

GI M1 Garand barrels are 4 groove. Most but not all commercial barrels are 6 groove. Back about 30 years ago 1000s of M1 Garands and M1 carbines were imported from Korea by Excel, Blue Sky and Arlington Ordnance. The three name companies were all owned by the same principals. A large number of the M1 Garands had worn barrels and beat up wood. They were cheap and many had new barrels and wood installed by their owners. Your rifle may be one of those.

Comment

Here are some more pictures if it helps.
                Attached Files

Comment

And a few more...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Barrel looks commercial. Is it a 6 groove barrel?.

Comment

It looks like you have a really nice reworked rifle. New stock, probably a new barrel. I've used Douglas 6-groove barrels in the past and got excellent accuracy with them. They may also last longer before they wear out. Looks like a shooter to me. Before you reassemble it, put a film of grease on the barrel, barrel band and all the other areas you won't be able to get at later. I have found rust on the barrel under the lower handguard and other areas not commonly accessed (NOT on my rifles). The grease film will help preserve it for years to come.
                      Of course, also lube the working parts per this guide:
                      http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-grease
                      The thief may possess something he stole, but he does not own it.
                      The owner has a right to take his property back from the thief.

Comment

Working...
                      X