Shhhhh, ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shhhhh, ....

I try not to do going auctions so as to not influence them. Sorry if you were trying to bid on this and get a deal but I think that ship has sailed! 1.5's are super tough and it sure appears to be a real screamer, but that is serious money with a day left to go!

Sure is a looker but you can't own everything - where would you put it. I can appreciate it though.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796900994

Nice, maybe way TOO nice. What is "about unissued"? Sounds like saying you're slightly pregnant. I have to question the original finish part and unissued part. Virtually no WWII Garands had parts that were all matching in color. That was almost impossible to achieve. I suspect that rifle has a better seller's "story" than factual one and unless you got some sort of documentation proving it you could end up paying a lot of money for a corrected rifle rather than an "about unissued" or slightly pregnant one.

Comment

Anything is possible - always get a 3-day inspection.

But this thing looks, ... whew, I would love to handle it in person.

Comment

Interesting 40 bids by 12 bidders. Looks like bid race now between two bidders. Still has 32 hours to good.

Comment

I agree with the "about unissued" statement, and matching finish parts but she is still a super beautiful rifle. Kinda seems like strong money to me considering, what do you guys think?
          I would like it in my rifle collection still though.
          m14brian

Comment

me thinks someone has more money than sense

Comment

This SA 1.5 with S-A 4-43 dated barrel was shipped from Rock Island Arsenal back in the 70's, came from the receiver exchange NRA program

Comment

I think it is right as rain and probably what it says; 'about unissued' - the real deal.

And I think there are two guys with more money than me that think so too.

Comment

There are things you just can't fake and if you tried, you would fake them better here. When the Greek rifles came back in near unissued condition we got to handle hundreds of nearly perfect specimens and you began to see consistencies in where things first began to wear. They looked like this.

I think the colors look good together and the lighting is showing them to be more similar in some shots than others. Here, other than the extractor, everything looks to be a very similar color especially the oprod;

Yet here it is clearly darker. So, ...

Comment

And, if it is a repark, then they popped a lot of pins out to do it so they could be properly in the white, like the accelerator pin on the oprod catch, ...

To each his own but I like it.

Comment

7 hours to go and a new bidder is high bidder. Of the top three bidders, one is not rated, one is a seller rated 77 and high bidder rated 17. Three people think its worth big money. It only takes one to run up the price. It is a outstand rifle in my opinion. Question is what is its true value ? Does one auction with so few bidders set the value of all correct WWII M1 Garands.

Comment

See, here's the thing, when you start trying to gather even just good data on nice, early, original rifles, you realize that there is a kind of gaping hole in the data; early, pre-war rifles are out there and decently documented now (though expensive), and late WWII rifles are out there and decently well documented (and a bit less expensive). But it is the middle that is the problem - once you get past the 'thankfully we have them' LL rifles, there is a gap. From about 700k to the low 2 millions there is very little to look at and handle, and condition becomes even more problematic. This one is smack in the middle of that gap and was made at the height of production for the war and somehow (IMHO) it appears to be in outstanding (ummm, ... nearly unfired?) condition! We don't have too many of any era like that let alone this one!

I need to stop now or I am going talk myself into it and get hung by my wife when I buy this thing, ... Whoever buys it, please let me know, ...

AMHO. Best all.

Comment

Rifle sold for $8025.00 to a new bidder that placed 2 bids about 25 mins before end of auction.

Comment

Originally posted by RDS View Post
                            Rifle sold for $8025.00 to a new bidder that placed 2 bids about 25 mins before end of auction.
                            You can't fix stupid. 🤪😵

To justify that expense it would have to be still in original aresenal packaging with verifiable documentation. Otherwise it's just another impossible to verify story.
                            Last edited by lapriester; 02-11-2019, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lapriester View Post

You can't fix stupid. 🤪😵
                              I'm really trying to respond to that without being too hard on you. Just because you can't tell doesn't mean nobody can, and the attitude means you don't want to put in the shoe leather to change it.

But calling it stupid is really just, ... disappointing.

(Hey, everything else I wrote was way worse than that.

Best all.

Comment

Working...
                              X