New member first M1 Garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member first M1 Garand

Hey, new guy here and new Garand owner. I just picked this up yesterday, and it appears to be all original/correct early January-February 1945 Springfield M1 Garand. I was wondering what the sticker on the stock was for. Maybe someone can educate me a little. Thanks!
    Last edited by SA Garand; 01-14-2019, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Comment

That's a beautiful rifle. I believe that sticker shows the rack number assigned to the rifle, as it would have been given a separate number reflecting its place in an armory rack system. Others here can speak about this more authoritatively than I can.

Either way, thanks for sharing your rifle here with us and welcome to the forum!!
        Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Thank you! I feel like I scored on finding this rifle. I had thought that might be the case with the sticker. I still have no idea what the "59" stood for on it though. I don't think it would be the year though. This rifle looks as if it were taken home from war and stored away without refurbishing.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Congrats, you scored one very nice rifle.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Nice late war rifle. I agree with BMS. It's a rack number.

Comment

We in the government still paint or apply stickers to rifles in our inventory, mainly because it’s easier for the men to remember that rifle 1 or 25 is theirs vs. memorizing a serial number. Also in some parts of the government they use it for inventory purposes but in most agencies or branches we have to go by the actual serial number so not too common any more.

Comment

Very nice late war rifle! Lockbars to boot! Just curious if it came from CMP, and if so, was it a field grade? It looks like a CMP hardcase to me. And yes, anytime you see a number on the stock, it should be a rack number. Some can be ugly, some can be really well done, and look great. It all depends on who had the paint.

Comment

It is a CMP case, but the rifle did not come from the CMP. The seller just had an extra case that he had stored the rifle in.

Comment

What is the date of the barrel. I suggest getting Scott Duffs M1 book. I've enjoyed mine.

Comment

Date on the barrel reads 2-45.

Comment

Working...
                        X