Ammo Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammo Question

So when I got my garand, the shop had 30-06 ammo that that right on the box, Garand ammo. I have not been able to find that anymore, I find ppu 30-6 ammo, and some other brands, what are the specs that I should be shooting as not to damage my garand, 1903 and 1917?

thanks

Federal makes 150gr FMJ the code # is F01FAAE3006M1.

Comment

Don't fret the '03 and 1917. Bolt guns aren't likely to be damaged unless it's double-loaded. The M1 problem is the pressure generated against the op rod.
      Jon

Comment

Ok. Ty you guys.

Comment

I buy my ammo online from sellers like SGAmmo and Selway Armory. I actually like the Prvi Partizan .30-06 Springfield 150g FMJ, made for Rifle, M1 Garand- but there are other manufacturers. Prices are reasonable and shipped right to your door.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawg Rider View Post
            ........shipped right to your door.
            Not if you live in the PRK (the People's Republik of Kommiefornia).
            Jon

Comment

CT now forces us to buy from a dealer.

Comment

Very unfortunate for you members in CT and CA (and probably NY). I'm blessed that Florida is still largely conservative when it comes to 2A issues. I thought CA was only considering a bill to stop ammo shipments to residences in 2020. I know they want to tax the heck out of all pistol/rifle and ammo purchases.

Comment

Any 150 grain bullet at 2770 FPS or less is perfect...

Comment

M2 Ball was loaded with a 152 gr FMJFB over 50gr IMR4895 for a MV of 2775 fps (as calculated by Quickload). That gave a pressure at the gas port (inside the barrel) of a little under 9000psi (as calculated by Quickload). Use of a slower propellant for the same or higher velocity would increase the pressure at the gas port.

If you go here, there's quite a bit of information on different .30-06 factory and military loadings and the effects on the rifle:
                    http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-ammunition

Note that while I use Quickload to get pressure inside the barrel, these folks measured pressure INSIDE THE GAS SYSTEM. That's a function of what bleeds through the gas port from the barrel after the bullet has passed by (for the most part).

Comment

S&B, PPU, Hornady, Fed American Eagle all make acceptable ammo specified for a Garand. As far as your bolt guns, you can use any 30-06 ammo commercially available without fear of damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Benzeen1 View Post
                        Any 150 grain bullet at 2770 FPS or less is perfect...
                        Uh no. You could achieve that with a round loaded with a powder with a burn rate much too slow to be appropriate for a Garand. The proper gas pulse is what needs to be achieved, the velocity has little to do with it. Proper powders with loads that produce slower than that "proper" M2 velocity often prove to be more accurate and fully functional. Being a mid range load I suspect my match loads are traveling much more than 2600 FPS but that loading produced the best accuracy using IMR 4064.

Comment

The Garand functions nicely at lower port pressures. I used up an accumulation of DCM ammo that was underloaded to .30-30 performance. Using Quickload (I don't have a chronometer) I was getting calculated velocities of a little over 2470 fps, and a port pressure of just under 8000psi, assuming the propellant was IMR4895. The rifle (now) cycles pretty reliably with the stuff. I plan to reload the brass with 180gr softpoints at around 2600 fps.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
                            The Garand functions nicely at lower port pressures. I used up an accumulation of DCM ammo that was underloaded to .30-30 performance. Using Quickload (I don't have a chronometer) I was getting calculated velocities of a little over 2470 fps, and a port pressure of just under 8000psi, assuming the propellant was IMR4895. The rifle (now) cycles pretty reliably with the stuff. I plan to reload the brass with 180gr softpoints at around 2600 fps.
                            Be very careful about pushing 180's to 2600 FPS. With 4895 that would mean loading to almost Max bolt gun data. The fact is, with published M1 Garand data in the Hornady book there isn't a single load listed with any Garand appropriate powder that will achieve 2600 FPS even with 178gr bullets let alone 180's. To get 2600 out of 180's you would have to use powder charges well in excess of published Garand appropriate maximums. I would strongly suggest you lower your goal to around 2500 using heavies in a Garand. All you'll accomplish loading that hot is beating your rifle and yourself to death without increasing accuracy a bit. The recoil alone will negate any possible accuracy or effectiveness improvements.

I suggest you stick with loads ising 165-168gr bullets and leave the max heavies to the longer range match shooters. For most any plain shooting or hunting situation 168's will do everything you need and probably better than 180's. If you need to go that heavy for what you are hunting, you need a different firearm capable of pushing them at higher velocities safely.
                            Last edited by lapriester; 04-16-2019, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Appreciate the warning. I used IMR4320 and the cycling is fairly gentle; not the snap of "spec" M2 ball. Quickload helped me work the breech and port pressure to be lower than the military ammo. I carry the rifle loaded with this for moose, bear and some other larger problem critters. The bullets are 180gr REM pointed core-lokt flat base I got in bulk many rears ago. And the velocity is supposed to be around 2550fps, not 2600.

Comment

Working...
                              X