1945 all matching serial numbers m1 garand, very strange stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1945 all matching serial numbers m1 garand, very strange stock

I've recently acquired an m1 Garand Springfield Armory from 1945 what appears to have all matching serial numbers and drawing numbers that match from may to june 1945, including the barrel 1945. I'm wondering about the stock there isnt any cartouches or if there was they've been worn completely away from use. Theres light numbers lettering on the stock near the butt plate. It's very strange to me I've never really encountered something like this. I'm wondering if the stock is original or maybe a replacement during ww2, does anyone have information about replacement stocks issued during the second world war, I've tried finding information on replacement stocks during wartime but I've come up empty from scouting the inner webs. If anyone has information on this please speak your peace, btw new to the forums I joined today to maybe get answers. Thanks!! - ASH.

If your question is about the stock, we will need more detailed pictures of the stock, the cartouche area, and the area's you have questions about.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. There is only one serial number on a US M1 Garand. Its on the receiver heel. The stamping on the left front of the barrel is an import stamp. Can you post what is stamped there as the photo is not clear.
      Last edited by RDS; 12-15-2018, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Without looking at the internals of you rifle it is hard to tell what is original to rifle. I suspect the stock was replaced about the same time the rear sights were replaced and any other modifications were made to the rifle. Many of those rifles came from Korea and the stocks were funky Korean wood and replaced by the importer or whatever country had the rifle prior to import, that could be your answer. Regards,

Comment

M14GHOST
          I am very sorry for the loss of your father. The numbers you refer to as serial numbers are actually drawing numbers and refer to the blue print drawing number for that particular part. The only serial number is on the heal of the receiver. During WWII as modifications were made to the manufacture of the part a new blue print for that part was created. Most times but not always the original drawing number was used and a dash and revision number added. Example would be the receiver drawing number is D 28291. A 1945 receiver will have a drawing number of D 28291 35. This means there was 35 modification to the original blue print for the receiver. As far as the butt stock its a replacement stock. Your rifle was imported back to the USA from Korea about 25 years ago, Blue Sky was the importer. After 25 years its hard to tell who and when the stock was changed. Your rear sights are post WWII sights. I personally handled at least a 1000 M1 Garand rifles imported from Korea by Excel, Blue Sky and Arlington Ordnance and never saw a rifle with its issue WWII stock. I hope this information helps you out.

Comment

You came to the right forum to gain knowledge. Please post photos of the Type 14 Nambu under the sub forum "Other Weapons". I am sure our members would like to see them. There are members here that are knowledgeable on all WWII weapons.

Comment

M14,
              Not trying to burst your bubble but it takes YEARS of research to learn about these rifles, not a few hours on the internet. I've been at it for 40 years and there's still more to learn. I think part of your frustration is that you're not hearing what you want to hear. I'm just sayin'......
              Jon

Comment

Please feel free to post photos of your father on the "Water Cooler" sub forum.

Comment

Working...
                X