No announcement yet.

Stock repair screws???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Bodyman, VERY interesting and much appreciated. This weekend I am swapping out the op rod on the rifle I dropped into this stock. I'll take some additional pics of the areas you inquired about earlier (as well as the butt with the plate removed).
    Thanks again for the great knowledge and pics!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Some additional images of the areas you inquired about Bodyman.

Comment

I knew I had some of these in an old coat pocket somewhere.

Here are the stock repair screws. I got them at a show ages ago. Never had a use for them but just thought they were really cool and I thought you guys would like to see what unused ones look like.

They were never common but I haven't seen them around for many years. Actually, I think I only ever saw them from one old fella back in the day and he only had a few.

They are still cool.

Last edited by Bodyman; 12-02-2017, 10:04 AM.

Comment

There are others that are better than me to say, but from what I can see that stock appears to have originally been made in the GAW era and not earlier. Even though in the standard spots, I don't think there is any way to tell if the screws were installed initially. Kinda cool that they didn't sand off the original cartouche if they were installed on rebuild.

Again, the guys that study the rebuilds would be better to speculate on these types of repairs in later eras based on what they have seen.

Comment

This is bugging me. It is just odd. I almost need to handle it. Stock looks to be a good size and not whittled down to a toothpick like some of them. The cartouche looks good but is too strong to have been sanded either, and it sure doesn't look like they sanded it after they put in the screws. This suggests that those were in it from the start and the GAW was applied after they were in.

They must have had some indication of a need to put these in more than just to reinforce because we do not see them all that often, especially on later WWII stuff. It is just odd.

Once rebuilt the assumption was always that it was done then, and that RA-P rebuild mark makes it impossible to say that it wasn't done on rebuild. But I think it would be awful hard to install those without harming the old surface, and it sure doesn't look like they sanded these down. Maybe they installed them flush on this side and sanded the other.

Am I overthinking this or am I just missing something here?

Comment

WWII field repair? Bruce Canfield wrote an article for American Rifleman in December 2003. Title of article was " In the System M1 Garand Rebuilds". He mentions U.S. Army Ordnance field units doing stock repairs.

Comment

As stated by Bodyman, these are arsenal pins. They at one point were just putting them in for preventive measures as many if not just about all I seen did not show any sign of a crack. I feel bad as all I have left from an arsenal are in the picture below. At one time I had a few hundred but used them on customers stocks. I am going to have to find more like these as Brownells has a fine thread which I do not like. Coarse will grab better. Will be retiring Feb 1st 2018 and doing this full time. I will need more for sure. Rick B

Comment

Many years ago Sarco had these pins as surplus. Same pins as used in 03A3 stocks. I still have a half dozen or so. I have seen many M1 Garand stocks cracked on the left side from the clip latch relief cut downward and rearward. These stocks were repaired with these pins. Pins were inserted from the top and are usually only visible when the stock is removed.

Comment

Working...
                      X