My Garand's TE and ME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phos Boss View Post

Have a question though. At first when I was shooting, I was using a rest. When on the rest, she would eject the spent casing every single time but would only chamber the next round about half the time. All I had to do was rack it and keep going

My question is: Has anyone else ever experienced this and/or know what causes this?
    While shooting, what part of the rifle was on the rest ? The stock ? The barrel and gas cylinder ? The front hand guard ?
    Looking for SA bayonets 922033 & 1045220

Comment

FlyJS41 I just ordered a new spring from AmmoGarand. Thanks for the help.

jak The stock was on the rest a couple of inches behind the stock ferrule assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by Phos Boss View Post
        Went shooting today! 65 degrees in Illinois in February! The black target on the left was set at 25 yards and the white one on the right was set at 100 yards. Ignore the whole top half of the white one though - a guy from work was blasting away at it with his AR. Most of mine were bottom left. Pretty good at close range but then again how could you miss? Got a little squirrelly at 100 but was happy that I was hitting paper.

Have a question though. At first when I was shooting, I was using a rest. When on the rest, she would eject the spent casing every single time but would only chamber the next round about half the time. All I had to do was rack it and keep going - it was kind of like firing a bolt action rifle. Then I ditched the rest (that's when my 100 yards shots got really squirrelly) and fired standing, then she got passed around to a few other guys who also did not use the rest. Without the rest, she cycled perfectly without fail. Colin said, "I guess she doesn't like the rest."

My question is: Has anyone else ever experienced this and/or know what causes this?
        With a 4 and 4 I'm not sure you should expect better accuracy than you're getting. Some do shoot well but some only shoot fair. Yours is closer to fair. So, how are you measuring that headspace because the numbers don't jive with real 30-06 headspace. Are using headspace gauges? GO - 1.942" and the failure gauge Field - 1.950". If yours is measuring 2.753" it's going to blow up in your face. Hell, I don't know how you'd even measure a chamber that long. That's even longer than an entire 30-06 case (2.494"). Did you transpose some numbers there?

Several things could be causing your short stroking problems. Simple: 1) A weak op spring (which I see you ordered a new one). Generally, people think a stronger one would CAUSE more short stroking but, a weak spring allows the op rod to begin moving before adequate gas pulse builds up to drive it back fully. 2) Wood to metal or metal to metal binding somewhere in the stroke of the moving parts. Google M1 tilt test and do it. Also, look carefully everywhere a moving metal part travels close to a stationary wood part or metal part and look for signs of rubbing. Some rubbing is normal during live fire because of op rod flex. Stock ferrule, on the barrel where the "web" of the op rod passes over it at the chamber. Those BTW are grease points.

Not so simple and can be expensive: 1) Out of spec gas cylinder where the bore is worn to the point the gas is blowing by the op rod piston too much for full function. 2) Out of round gas cylinder bore (same result as #1). 3) Out of spec op rod piston. Piston is worn too small and allowing too much gas to blow by to fully function the rifle. 4) Even worse - A combination of 1 and two, 1 and 3 or 1, 2, and 3. All of the "not so simples" can be cured but not without a moderate expense.

The difference in rest shooting vs sans rest shooting is probably related to how tight you were holding the rifle to your shoulder. With a rifle barely functioning less shoulder pressure will cause it to malfunction because more of the rearward motion is used up by the slack in the hold and recoil while the action is retracting.

Some specs:
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/zk0xayvnmv...Specs.doc?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ru12trc3t2...specs.jpg?dl=0

Poor man's way of checking gas cylinder approximate spec:

BRASS CASE GAS CYLINDER GAUGE

1. Use a brand new unfired .300 Win Magnum or 7MM Magnum belted cartridge case (you can use a loaded round also if you have to).

2. Insert the case head (the primer end) of the case into the front of the Gas Cylinder. (they are supposed to run .532, but .531 or less is more typical for unfired rounds).

3. If the case will NOT enter past the cartridge case belt = NEW/EXC

4. If the case will enter but fit is very tight and only enters slightly (about 1/2" or less = GOOD

5. If the case will enter and the fit is loose and slides all the way through or enters more than half way = REJECT
        Last edited by lapriester; 02-23-2017, 09:39 PM.

Comment

LONG OVERDUE UPDATE!

After taking the Garand out this past February and getting all that short cycling, I didn't shoot anything for months. A week after the February shoot, my grandmother died and you know how it goes - sometimes life just gets in the damn way. Last weekend me and the guys went shooting again and the Garand went as well - this time with her new op spring. Still short cycling.

Brought her into work and my boss took her apart and he figured it out! The op rod was a-ok. The problem this whole dame time was the gas cylinder. It is in spec, but just barely. Problem was that it was loosey goosey. You could wiggle it around with your hand with almost no effort. Larry (my boss) got the gas cylinder tightened up. It doesn't budge at all now.

I brought her out to the range today before the company Christmas party for some test firing. The suspense was friggen killing me! Emptied 4 clips then I was out of ammo.

No more short cycling! Not a single hiccup! She blasted through those clips of .30-06 like she thought it was still 1944! The best part was hearing that lovely and satisfying "Ping!" as she ejected the empty clip.

Anyway, seems like I left ya hangin' for a while and wanted to thank everybody for all their help and the info.

Comin' up next, I plan on looking for a less worn out barrel and now a less worn out gas cylinder.

And maybe some ammo...

Comment

Working...
          X