June 1941 Winchester Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June 1941 Winchester Rifle

This came from Calif about sixteen years ago and with the original barrel. The barrel is long spline and long pad with drawing number on the right side. Do not think this was a DCM or import rifle as the condition shows service but not rebuild. The bore is bright but the TE is 6.5. Of course some restoration was required and the stock was from my collection, it is a WRA RS no-trap stock with some interesting "notches" cut into it a long time ago. Other rifle is a WRA 128631 with WRA WB no trap stock

Very nice Robert.

The double box WB came somewhere in between those , correct ?

Comment

Yes, right after the WRA RS, always difficult to find an original double box cartouche. I did trade some double box stocks to Redfield and Bishop years ago

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
        Yes, right after the WRA RS, always difficult to find an original double box cartouche. I did trade some double box stocks to Redfield and Bishop years ago
        I'm familiar with Mr. Redfield, but not "Bishop." Is Mr. (?) Bishop an advanced collector like yourself and Mr. Redfield?
        Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

There was Mel Bishop and Craig Bishop. Craig Bishop was a known source for a few gas trap barrels and also at one time owned an original gas trap rifle in the 46K serial range, also collected M1D rifles. I did trading with Craig. Back in the 90's, collectors still chased after original pars to restore gas trap rifles as repro parts were not considered in a restoration. Also not much was available as repro either but gas cylinders started to surface and NJ solid butt plates. I know of two sporterized gas traps in the 21K and 42K range that were restored too

Comment

Originally posted by RCS View Post
            There was Mel Bishop and Craig Bishop. Craig Bishop was a known source for a few gas trap barrels and also at one time owned an original gas trap rifle in the 46K serial range, also collected M1D rifles. I did trading with Craig. Back in the 90's, collectors still chased after original pars to restore gas trap rifles as repro parts were not considered in a restoration. Also not much was available as repro either but gas cylinders started to surface and NJ solid butt plates. I know of two sporterized gas traps in the 21K and 42K range that were restored too
            Thank you for this information, Robert. I'd not heard of the Bishops. Were they brothers, by chance?
            Also, what do you mean by the "NJ solid buttplates"? Please elaborate on that.
            Thanks.
            Welcome to the Addiction!

Comment

Do a internet search on Mel Bishop . NJ solid butt plates were faked by Giacobbe in NJ, they were not up to original specs and the distance between the screw holes was too short, you had to drill a larger bottom screw hole in your original stock to angle the long butt screw downward to fit the swivel.

Comment

Robert do you have a data sheet on the June 41 rifle. I'm curious about the internals, bolt, etc., regards

Comment

Curt, Here is some data plus a photo of the pad/splines on the barrel which I am certain is original to the receiver (barrel drawing number reads from the right side). The bolt is early without the bottom hole, round WRA dark blue firing pin and extractor. Winchester follower with 45 degree front and back slide, bullet guide B8875W.R.A. no finish. follower rod is flat forged with round wire spring. Op Rod is dark DuLite color no cut D35382 -W.R.A. Lower band is arched Winchester. Trigger housing WRA small hole with large pad. Trigger guard without front bevels and small C46025W.R.A. Hammer spring. hammer spring housing and guide all in the white. Safety low marked -4W.R.A. Gas cylinder with WRA drawing number, single slot screw heavy machine marks, front sight 7/8 inch with seal over screw

Stock is original WRA RS no trap with original WRA butt plate and without markings inside (NJ is also the home of the C-46012W.R.A. solid butt plate) I have seen s/n 111700 which has a WRA WB double box cartouche in a modified no trap stock. Rear handguard without op rod notch

Comment

Thanks Robert. if I read Canfield right your rifle was serial numbered on 7 June. I have a rifle 112821 that was serial numbered on 14 June. Here is some data plus a photo of the pad/splines on the barrel which I believe to be original to the receiver (barrel drawing number reads from the left side). The bolt is early without the bottom hole (dulite), round WRA dark blue firing pin and extractor. Winchester follower with 45 degree front and back slide, bullet guide B8875W.R.A. dark finish. follower rod is flat forged with round wire spring. Op Rod is dark DuLite color no cut D35382 -W.R.A. Lower band is grooved Winchester. Trigger housing WRA small hole with large pad. Trigger guard (without front bevels and small- need to check) C46025W.R.A. Hammer spring. hammer spring housing and guide all in the white. Safety high marked -4W.R.A. Gas cylinder with WRA drawing number, single slot screw heavy machine marks, front sight 7/8 inch with seal over screw. Stock is WB modified with WRA no trap butt plate. Should be RS. My rifle unfortunately also has been annealed. Could you or someone post the variance in Trigger guards? The splines are almost identical to yours. I thought the follower might be a long nose or something besides 45 degree, interesting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09951.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	10899

Comment

Curt, Redfield wrote an article with actual size line drawings of the Winchester trigger guards for The Garand Stand Report. Your barrel looks identical to mine on 111709, Either high or low marked safety should be alright. The slide is long nose 45x45 degree front and back. My Winchester 102740 also has the original barrel too (with a small import stamp) I understand the 45x45 slide was used to around June 1941 unless someone has better data

Comment

Thank you for the information.. regards,

Comment

Working...
                        X