My early 444 IHC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My early 444 IHC

I took it out of the safe this morning for cleaning and took some pictures.....then it started raining. This was the very first Garand I purchased from a gentleman in Richmond Virginia. In 2010 I drove down to Williamsburg to see an old helicopter Aviator friend, then drove over to Richmond to check out the rifle. The man explained he had worked at the CMP as a assistant to the Armorer staff for one week. He then got to pick out a rifle for his compensation. He chose this one. Even though I knew very little about the M1 Garand I had been collecting 1903/A3's and carbines for years. The rifle is all correct with a LMR barrel that has an ME of slightly over one. All the parts are correct IMC for this year group....the Armorers replaced several parts and he drove home with it. Then I drove home with it!
    Attached Files

That is a nice one. with a nice early stock!!

Comment

Very nice…now I’m jealous!

Comment

Finding one with an original large OC cartouche is very hard to find. I'm a lucky collector. There is one that is even more rare....The small wheel on the right hand side.

Comment

I have a 4.441 and while it has an early (12/52) LMR barrel (with crossed canons and no punch marks), and apparently rare heat lot code, ​ it's mixmaster otherwise. I do feel like I wish to correct it since it's so rare.

Last edited by adanac; 07-16-2022, 04:06 PM.
          Sorry Mr. President, the people we defeated in WW2 were not "fine people," and America's war dead are not "suckers" and "losers."

Comment

Nice rifle, Rick! I like this version of the IHC heelstamp best personally. Somehow I missed this one the first time around!
            m14brian

Comment

That COULD be a Springfield Armory receiver.
              Jon

Comment

Originally posted by ARA Rick View Post
                I took it out of the safe this morning for cleaning and took some pictures.....then it started raining. This was the very first Garand I purchased from a gentleman in Richmond Virginia. In 2010 I drove down to Williamsburg to see an old helicopter Aviator friend, then drove over to Richmond to check out the rifle. The man explained he had worked at the CMP as a assistant to the Armorer staff for one week. He then got to pick out a rifle for his compensation. He chose this one. Even though I knew very little about the M1 Garand I had been collecting 1903/A3's and carbines for years. The rifle is all correct with a LMR barrel that has an ME of slightly over one. All the parts are correct IMC for this year group....the Armorers replaced several parts and he drove home with it. Then I drove home with it!
                Looks good!

Comment

Working...
                X